DIY topoff

Ira

Finally got at least the float valve part of it all set up...Well, assembled anyway.

topoff.jpg

What I'm thinking I'll do is have the airpump there(Or another one) pumping air into an airtight jerry can which will then push the water out another hose into the tank. A 25l container should be good for 20L of water which would be good for about 5 days before I have to fill it up+2 days before the pump chamber gets low, compared to 2 days now before my pump starts running dry. I still haven't gotten the container sorted out yet.:) If the air pump idea doesn't work I can always switch it to a powerhead.

One thing I was a little concerned about was that the float switch would keep switching on and off every few seconds bouncing between high and low. Doesn't look like it will because there's about an inch of travel in the float between where it turns on and turns back off again. Which would be maybe a liter of water between the two. That should be 6ish hours, definitely at least a few hours.

Total cost so far...$80...But that's because I needed to buy a heat gun to bend the perspex.:) Which I then broke the first time I tried to drill a hole through it.:(

And a gratuitous picture of my lawn mower blenny...

fuglyhead.jpg

Wouldn't a airtight jerry can, sitting above the sump, with a 1/2" small pipe out the bottom into the water work the same? Water level would drop, air would go up pipe, water would come out of container, sump level would then rise stopping more water entering the container. No need for a float switch or an airpump.

Wouldn't a airtight jerry can, sitting above the sump, with a 1/2" small pipe out the bottom into the water work the same? Water level would drop, air would go up pipe, water would come out of container, sump level would then rise stopping more water entering the container. No need for a float switch or an airpump.

Hmm... It would, but I think how well this works would depend on the diameter of tubing used. Plus you would have to be very sure that the container was completely air tight.

At least with Ira's method, if there is a small air leak in the container, then the sump won't overflow. Just as long as the airpump can provide enough volume and pressure to compensate for the leak, it will still work.

Layton

And you guys are forgetting the most important thing! I don't really have anywhere good to put the container above the sump...Well, I'd have no problem having it sitting on the kitchen bench next to the tank, but wifey might not be so happy about it.;) On the floor next to the tank is a lot more convenient.

Topoff is installed and running.:) Got lucky, I have the topoff hanging on the right side of the tank pointing inwards and it only barely has enough room.

When I was testing it with just a little water in the container it took about a minute for it to start pumping the water out and would keep pouring about 500ml after the air pump stopped. So I have the outlet hose a little bit higher so it will stop quicker. But that's a worst case, when there's more water in the container it will start and stop quicker. Seems to pump around 500ml per minute so I'd guesstimate it will only turn on for about a minute or two every 3-4 hours. And all there is to see is a 25L jerry can with two air hoses running out of the lid into the stand.