dwarf gourami & betta - bad idea?? update on STUPID gouram

BikBok

well one of my dwarf gourami managed to wedge himself in a piece of driftwood. There's a small tunnel like cavity. It's a wonder he didn't drown. He had been there all night because when I went to bed I did see him in there but thought he was just hiding out and would come out by himself. My female betta swims in and out of there regularly as it's not a full tunnel just a hole in the wood.

Anyway, this morning, With some effort I managed to free him but his head and underbelly is scraped. And dorsal fin looks a bit tatty from where he must have been struggling to free himself. The head is the worst, and is missing a patch of skin.

I have male betta in a lightly salted 21L tank and thought the salt would be good for the gourami while he heals . I haven't put him in yet but I suspect they will not get on.

Any advice what to do with the gourami ?

I agree that its not likely to be a good thing putting them together. Can you contain one of them or both of them within the tank so they can not get too close to each other. If they are both male they may fighter and if the gourami is female the male betta may still annoy it.

You're not really going to know until you try it but it may be too have an alternative close at hand. Good luck. :D

Owch!

I know - silly fish! hope he doesn't try that again. He really was quite stuck and I thought I was going to kill him just trying to get him out.

How about daily salt baths, as I'm not keen on putting salt in this tank because there's kuhli in there.

UPDATE

I'm quite pleased with how Elvis is healing, he's doing great and the head wound especially has improved heaps! I added a little bit of salt to the water and also gave a daily salt bath in a higher concentration for a few days, and added acriflavine to one of those.

Now if he can just avoid getting the ICH that has manifested in my tank on another fish, he should be fine.

Dorsal fin will take a bit longer to regenerate but he was putting it up today.

BikBok-elvishealing1-svs.jpg

BikBok-elvishealing2-wfo.jpg

BikBok-elvishealing3-v5z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

well he was starting to look almost back to normal. Wound on top was barely visible and the dorsal fins were repairing themselves. ... until ..... the STUPID FISH DID IT AGAIN!!!

We got him out and he is all scratched and battered again but is swimming around happily this morning. Back to the extra water changes and salt baths which seemed to help last time.

As for the driftwood , it's out of the tank and air drying. Then we will tunnel out the hole so it is big enough for him not to get stuck again.

All i can say , is stupid fish! the other gourami has more sense.

He's not being chased is he? I can't image why a fish would do it twice although I do believe their memory is about 3 seconds. :D

He see's the kuhlis in there and think's there's food to be had! The kuhlis do sometimes take food in there.

Anyway , it should be safer for him now as the opening is big enough for him to get out the other end. He is the dominant fish in the tank and does any chasing but usually just the other dwarf gourami at feeding time.