photo printers

cees

I need a new printer and I might as well get a good colour photo printer. With my canon eos 300D camera I thought I never was going to get a photo printed again. But, there is something about have a hardcopy of a good photo. Does anyone have a recommendation? Wish to share your experience with photo printers?

This printer is for home use mainly and budget will be well under $500.

Cees

Are you sure you want a photo printer, I believe you will be much much better off with a laser. When the ink cartridges run out, you will be shelling out tons to buy new ones. Thats the only bad things about these "Inkjet" printers. An important consideration - the cost of ink. Ive got an Epson, and it costs about $70+ to buy ink (colour and b&w) for it. Its not really worth it. But a laser would last much longer with the kind of use I put it through.

Have a look at Pricespy's Printer Selection for a good price on printers

The cheapest Photo printer I can find is the HP photosmart 130 digital photo Printer for $139.95 Including GST.

Hope this helps :D

Canon are doing some pretty good cheap printer at the moment, seperate ink for each color so you replace just the cart that has run out and only $15 odd for each.

I support/buy a few at work (15-20 odd) used to only buy HP cause they were the type of lasers I got but now there doesn't seem to be much difference between the brands.

Don't forget to consider the speed of the printer since inkjets tend to be really slow (if it matters) and also the noise, they make a lot which is a pain if you computer is in your living area. You can also get some good printers that scan, and photocopy as well.

We sell mostly Canon printers these days Cees as they do a good job and are cheaper to run than others. Even so, it is actually cheaper to put your photos on CD and take them to print at a photo shop. Many of these places have a DIY section for this starting around 60c per print. Proper photo paper for inkjets is around $2 per sheet then you have the ink prices on top of that.

We sell a lot of the Canon Pixma ip4000. It has 3 separate colours, a large black and a small black for photographic use. They do have more expensive models. We like it though as Canon running costs are generally lower than Epson and the printer is relatively quiet. We have not had a Canon go bung on us yet - very reliable. We sell them for around $320.00 but I am sure we can do a deal for you. Will send you an email about it :wink:

Although I have a laser, I used to print photos on the inkjet (we have an HP 970cxi but HPs are too expensive to buy consumables for these days) as the colour matching was better. Since getting the Kyocera laser the colour matching is much improved though. You are right though, a colour laser is not within your stated budget.

Proper photo paper for inkjets is around $2 per sheet then you have the ink prices on top of that.
Is that A4 sheets or 4x6 ? I've seen 4x6 canon photopaper @ $19 for 50 sheets.

It's the convenience of having printer at home that is important as well.

I've looked at the Canon Pixma ip4000. That, or one of the newer ones (5000, 6000? ) is one of the models under consideration.

I'll have to agree with breakaway in that a colour laser is the better way to go in the long run. I have seen a Konica Minolta for $799 but only if your budget could go and extra $300. then again you will get that back on consumables.

happy hunting

It isn't the actual printer cost you need worry about so much, it is the running costs which vary greatly. The cheaper printers are all a lot more expensive to run than the dearer models. The ink is more expensive and they use more of it.