do these dwarf gourami look thin?

BikBok

I picked up two dwarf gourami today from LFS. They didn't have a lot of choice, just a handful but I eliminated one I didn't want and once the net went in it was difficult to see who was who anyway.

Now that they're home and Ive managed to have a really good look, they look a bit thin to me. Not had these before so not sure how they should look.

Very hard to photograph as they were painfully shy and as soon as i held the camera up they swam away. So not the best pics and couldn't get any closeups. Most the pics are of "elvis" but there's one in there with two of them which also shows "hobbit" .. it is actually hobbit who I think is the thinnest and he also has a couple of small tears in his tail.

BikBok-elvis1-6uq.jpg

BikBok-elvis3-rn0.jpg

BikBok-elvis4-jnk.jpg

BikBok-elvis5-5ay.jpg

BikBok-edwarfgourami-ouz.jpg

I would usually quarantine new fish but my Q tank already has some fry which have been in contact with a guppy I got from out of town that turned out to be sick and died, from fungus I think. So don't want to put the gourami in with them.

I gather Dwarf gourami are all imported and have been through MAF quarantine so should I be concerned about worms? or could they just be in need of some good feeding?

they are prone to going skinny. the amount of dwarf gourami stores (or some of them) lose to fish randomly popping off is astronomical.

I would de worm them if you could and if it was feasible to do so.

They don't look particularly skinny though.

if I do worm them, it will have to be in the tank they are in (AR850) and the other fishies will get done too..

any foreseeable problems with the otos being wormed?

I have aviverm (levamisole) and Prazi .. which is best ?

Otherwise I could wait till the smaller Q tank is free, disinfect it and then put the gourami in for worming. Could be a few weeks though.

thanks for the replies.. that's reassuring. I guess I'm just used to seeing plump guppies and other fish.

They came up to eat the dried tubifex so at least they're not too shy to eat. I need to get some more frozen bloodworms as the ones I have are getting a bit old now.

It's neat how they use their ventrals like little hands haha. I watched one push the other away with a ventral fin.

While they were still in the bag they were lightly banging lips but didn't seem to be fighting .. why would that be?

I saw you buying these today! I was going to say hi but you looked so engrossed in the fish :lol:

They look fine BTW 8)

haha Sam - I didn't even see you lol. I actually was sick as a dog (strange saying that) so probably didn't notice much at all today.