Another Sick turtle. WARNING- graphic pics

DonnaM

This one didnt make it.

He was on TM for ages...temporarily living in a bath with a female RES as original owners did a runner or something?

Bought at Christmas, but no info given to new owners.

Female started attacking him in Feb.

He stopped using back legs in March. (They thought he was protecting them from female.)

Stopped using one front leg in April and began basking all the time. Couldnt eat as didnt have ability to move legs to grasp/pull at food so was being hand fed when he did eat.

Came to me a few days ago. Was put in isolation and fed. He started passing bright yellow pus. His back feet were exactly the same as 'Speedys'. Sort of contracted toes and not moving limbs at all. Also if you touched his front legs they sort of tremored/jerked. He didnt move at all, no attempt to walk or swim. When I looked close he had various swollen feet and knee joints which were hard on palpation. ?Gout or a fracture? He was very weak. You could easily hold and extend limbs with no resistance. Very pale in his mouth. Vet agreed it was really too late for him.

The pictures say it all really. They are not pleasant to look at, so be warned :(:(

May20th2010SheldonIDsetc017.jpg

See how one leg has toes all contracted and the other has them extended...this limb just sort of jerked a little if you touched it or when he was in the water as he tried to move it. Other limbs didnt move.

I'd say along time before the people bought him at Christmas. His weakened state would have seen him with no real ability to flee from the females attacks or to heal his neck wound. The new owners didnt know normal turtle behaviour. They travelled to CHCH and asked at a local pet shop for help...and the lady there thought "I know theres a turtle lady in CHCH" phoned a vet and got my number for them. Too late for this fella, but at least able to help them sort out correct environment etc for the female.

Possibly but people really need to take responsibility for their own actions. I wish more people would do the research before they get pets.

A very sad, case.

What about the people who thought they *had* done their research, ie talking to the pet store workers who gave them wrong information?

They've done the wrong research. :D Thinking you know how to look after an animal/reptile etc often isnt enough.

Not all cases are black and white and yes sometimes people give incorrect info which can set others up to fail. But sometimes what works for some just doesnt work for others. Some times good old common sense is all thats needed, i mean if one of your pets is attacking the other then common sense would tell you something isnt right. And its your duty to figure it out asap. That turtle didnt get in that state over night.