best way to clean rocks for tank ?

K R Brown

went down river picked up load of rocks want to have a change in tank whats best way clean them normally just rinse and put in but should i soak em or tip boiling water on them. Just don't want no nastys getting how does every one prep them?

went down river picked up load of rocks want to have a change in tank whats best way clean them normally just rinse and put in but should i soak em or tip boiling water on them. Just don't want no nastys getting how does every one prep them?

Rinse and put them in.

Or boil them. It's up to you.

Depends whats on them, boiling /hot temperatures, will also speed up any chemical reactions or clay being released in the rocks, so it will be a heaps up if it will happen. I boiled mine and left them in water for a about a week. I didn't have a tank at the time, but I don't regret it.

All my rocks were collected from the wild :wink:

I just scrubbed them with a nail brush (toothbrush for those hard to reach places) and made sure there weren't any greeblies hiding in gaps and crevices. They were then hosed down and added to the aquarium.

scrub. put. :)

Greeblies are overdemonised. Every tank has greeblies of some sort, mostly unintentional. They all have little jobs to do, mostly processing algae and other wastes, which is useful. You are highly unlikely to move any bad greeblies in, like parasites. I guess hydra could be bad in a fry tank, and if the stream is in poor condition definitely scrubbing the algae off is a good idea.