Oto species (otocinclus)

BikBok

I've got two cute otos but would like to get more so they can be happier in a small group.

I read somewhere that otos don't from groups with other otos that aren't the same species.

So if anyone can help me identify what type of Oto I have , that would be great.

Also, are there in fact different species of oto available in NZ.. and what is the most common type? Seems pointless me going out to get just any Otos if they are not going to group[ together anyway.

here's some pics of mine

BikBok-otomay2010crop-cy5.jpg

BikBok-otomay2010sb2ebcrop-jjb.jpg

BikBok-fatottomay10crop-wc2.jpg

thanks if anyone can help

i don't mind what they are ... just need to know so I can get the right ones as friends !

They really are very cute and especially come to life in the evenings, zooming around the tank together and hanging with the kuhlis when they do their thing.

I think we can but these are likely just plain old affinis. Nothing wrong with them of course 8)

hmmm I just had a quick google, and I think the band is too dark to be an affinis. .. and it's also not the Macrospilus that HFF recently had in their German import (darn, that would be too easy!)

Just having a browse on planetcatfish...

could it be a Otocinclus vestitus http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/im ... age_id=511 ..this pic has diamond type pattern in the dark band near caudal, just liek mine.

or maybe an Otocinclus vittatus http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/sp ... ies_id=107

what do you think? one of the "V" otos ? I'm thinking vestitus because it doesn't have the lighter colouring above the dark band.

This is the list of Ottos allowed into the country, the V's you mentioned are here. Perhaps ask the petshop you got them from?

Otocinclus affinis

Otocinclus flexilis

Otocinclus gibbosus

Otocinclus hasemani

Otocinclus hoppei

Otocinclus macrospilus

Otocinclus mariae

Otocinclus vestitus

Otocinclus vittatus

This is the list of Ottos allowed into the country, the V's you mentioned are here. Perhaps ask the petshop you got them from?

The wholesale list is very specific. you can either buy an otocynclus, or you take take a leap of faith and buy an otocynclus. :lol:

The wholesale list is very specific. you can either buy an otocynclus, or you take take a leap of faith and buy an otocynclus. :lol:

lol

I will stare at the tank and then stare some more before I buy. In the mean time I'm getting some little whiptails. My other one is fully grown now and he looks great but I don't want to move him from his home into the bigger tank. Will leave him be where he is happy.

I'll try Sophia

I took some last night but didn't turn out very good as the kuhlis don't like being photographed .. even if I don't use flash.. which means a darker pic in the evening! they are both so fast when they get moving!

The Kuhlis and the ottos certainly don't seem to mind each other at all.

Kuhli and Otto pics for Sophia

It was so hard getting photographs but i managed to get some pics of one of the kuhli with the lighter coloured Otocinclus.

BikBok-kuhlibikandottosharkey-lro.jpg

BikBok-kuhliandsharkey-759.jpg

BikBok-kuhliandsharkeysb1eb-zio.jpg

i think oto actually looked a little bit off that day but he's since been fine and has been pooping the longest poops I've ever seen. lol ! multi coloured strings of poop that put even my old bristlenose to shame haha.

Just been to HFF Mt Roskill and they have a large collection of otos, quite visibly there are 2 kinds.

One lot look like 'ours' and the others are almost black and white in colouring and really quite different.

There is a huge one in there too. :o

They are all labelled as 'otocinclus' on the tank and I didn't ask if they knew which were which.

thanks for that Sophia.. I've got a busy weekend ahead but if I get a chance I'll go and check them out.

They do seem quite happy with just the two of them, following each other around the tank .. and even following one of the guppies around together.. don't know why ! Maybe they think she's an oto.