Has anyone tried one of these?

DennisP

http://hydrophytesblog.com/wp-content/u ... nk-i-s.jpg

(too large for img insert sorry)

I'm pretty keen to try one of these.

Once I sort out my finances, I could possible buy a 2ft set up etc, and use it as a biotope/cool stuff tank. :-? :lol:

Anybody got any experience with these, what do you suggest.

If I do do this, I would put some planning into it this time! :D

hydrophyte

I knew you meant a riparium straight away when I saw his name :lol:

Was just looking at them earlier this week in fact, would be keen but not sure which plants would suit. Keen to hear local experiences too. paludarium people?

I considered doing one rather than a full submerged planted aquarium. But my tank is limiting. Before even starting out on this as a hobby, this website/competition inspired first....

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2009.cgi?&op=ishowcase&category=3&vol=-1

Have a flick through, some really nice ones. Somewhere, its said that enclosed units have had other fauna living in it like reptiles, amphibians, even birds! 8) as an alternative to fish in the water

:bounce:

After a lot of thought... at school :lol: ... I have decided to try one.

Now, I have to decided which style to go for...

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2 ... =-1&id=162 this

Or

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2 ... l=-1&id=67 this.

(one side or both sides)

I will make the slope/land area with a styro-foam base so if anyone has any experience with these, it would be appreciated, as I have none.

The plants will probably be native, as I can get them from the marlborough sounds. (small amount, I will make sure I dont harm anything blah blah blah :lol: ) This is also helpfull because they look good, live well in water, but don't require high temperatures etc. I will Keep the water about 20*c and have maybe mountain minnows + a pleco if they can survive at that temp.

I will probably keep a set up log on here for you to see. :lol:

I'm excited. :D

I like the first one. second one is boring. :lol:

You dirty DIYers will be pleased to know that 6500K is a good colour spectrum for these setups, and the terrestrial plants do well under them.

T5's and T8's would be better as they provide more even lighting, but you can do it with CFL's.

I like the first one. second one is boring. :lol:

You dirty DIYers will be pleased to know that 6500K is a good colour spectrum for these setups, and the terrestrial plants do well under them.

T5's and T8's would be better as they provide more even lighting, but you can do it with CFL's.

+1

I like the first one, theres more to it than the second one.

i like the first one too perhaps rather than using natives use baby house plants these can often be purchased from the warehouse(5 for $10 sometimes) and most will thrive in this kind of enviroment. you would have to either do a bit of research or lots of trial and error to get natives to work in there

I like the first one too but I think the second one will be much easier on a smaller scale. Looks like a very fun project though. Makes me want a frog. 8)

But it would eat the fish, and then you have to cover the tank...

Crypts should be ok.

I also like the first. But as it is 60cm(?) long tank, its going to be harder to fit everything in. I would like enough room for 3-5 small fishies...

It will be a while before I add any plants to it I think, as I need to sort out temperature, light etc.

As for what substrate to use in the water... Sand?

The pictures I've seen of sand haven't looked very nice. Dark gravel looks good. But smaller pieces would be good to make the tank look larger... Ideas? Also, big enough to be glued onto the styrofoam banks/slopes.

As for the shape of the land, I have something in mind, but will update tomorrow when I get my tank!

:D:D

The plants will probably be native, as I can get them from the marlborough sounds.

Native! go native. This looks like a very exciting project and if you collect plants from the sounds you're surrounded by inspiration!

Best of luck with this,