how to cook duck breast?

A couple young fullas turned up this morning and asked permission to shoot some ducks, I said go for it, personally I perfer my ducks swimming, flying and quacking but the boss lets them on so I wasn't gonna ruin their morning.

Anywho they got a few and gave us a couple, I'm no hunter and didn't have a clue what to do with them so I rang my Father who told me how to cut the breasts out(we wanted to roast them but they where skinny as) after hacking away at them we now have 4 very rich looking fillets.

We have had a few conflicting answers about how to cook them though, Siran's Mum says lightly fry them like chicken, but Dad say's you need to braise them slowly.....so who's right?....does anyone know a nice way to cook em for lunch?

Some key points about cooking duck:

The breast and thigh/leg portions should be treated differently in the cooking process. The breast is best pan fried and served slightly pink, while the leg and thigh need to be cooked longer. Braising and steaming particularly work well.

Whole duck is especially good for long, slow cooking.

Don't expect to be able to cook a duck like a chicken - its parts need more individual attention.

Start your duck journey by cooking breast or thigh/leg rather than a whole duck. The vast majority of the meat is found in these portions and because duck is quite rich, a little goes a long way.

from: http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/feat ... for-a-duck

Oooohhh, this one sounds good - could use jam instead of quince stuff?

http://www.wildcountry.co.nz/ideas.php? ... b91f4beb74

marinate 1 breast per person in a mix of seasoned plum sauce and ginger overnight

bring to room temp

lightly fry or bbq for 1-11/2 minutes per side or until just pink in the middle

allow to rest

Whilest still warm slice into 1 cm strips on an angle and across the grain

Serve on a rocket salad with crispy noodles and thinly sliced pear (optional)

or place on brusceta and pile salad on top drizzle with dressing of your choice

HTH

38.gif

Who knew you were a foodie Nav, I might have to invite myself over for tea. :roll:

I'm thinking the food is just an accompaniment to his wine :)

I panfry breast on skin side for approx 10 mins. I score into skin first with knife

due to high fat content which you now release you dont really need a lot of oil.

I then transfer breast to finish at high heat in oven for another 10-15 mins.

Then prepare same as Nav- little bit of crumbled blue cheese in salad to go with the pear and quite partial to Hoisin sauce based jüs or as marinade.

Slow cooker for thighs and legs