Music and the Aquarium!

cracker

We had a fishtank sittng on top of one of our speakers for a number of years with no discernible adverse effects on the fish. The speakers are 930H x 460W x 420D and when you turn up the 1812 Overture you can feel the vibrations through the wooden floor! Fish didn't turn a hair (or a scale). :lol:

They also take no notice of the Blues Brothers played at a loud volume to be heard over the vacuum cleaner :wink:

I don't have any trouble with my fish and loud music. I've probably got one of the largest stereo's in the country and no probs to date. Sometimes the fish will jump on the first decent bass hit but settle after that. It's just like tapping the glass on your tank. The first hit they jump but if you continue tapping they don't care any more.

I get 125dBa at 20Hz and 136dBa at 57Hz which is pretty much like being strapped to the end of a jackhammer. The sub uses 2 x 18inch long throw drivers in a 4th order bandpass enclosure. It's powered by a 2500W amp.

The rest of the system is pretty standard but still hits 127dBa and is powered by one 750W amp and one 500W amp. All the walls of the house shake and picture frames bounce off the wall. My lounge tank is 2400mm long and you can feel the front glass flexing a little but still no probs with the fish. My worst worry has actually been with the silicone letting go due to the glass flexing... The higher frequencies don't seem to effect the fish, only the bass.

I don't usually have it up very loud as it upsets the neighbours 3 doors down the road when their windows rattle. Also, my hearing isn't quite what it used to be strangely enough!

They don't or should I say they didn't when I tried it. Of course, the SPL mightn't have been high enough as the reponse drops off very steeply below 18Hz. At 7Hz it would have been down approx 30dB from the 20Hz level. I tried that to see what would happen to the house. You get some pretty interesting panel resonances in the walls it you hit the right frequency. It's amazing how much a house can flex!

There aren't also any glass, powerheads, cannister filters, internal filters, air pumps, airstones, flouro lights, glass tanks, tetra bits, fish flake, brine shrimp, cichlid pellets, shrimp pellets, etc. And noone said they were good, just that they aren't particularly bad.

Keep in mind I very rarely have a fish death and if I do it's nearly always from old age. I've kept discus for years and all but 2 out of 24 have died of old age somewhere between 7-8 years old. Of the 2 that died 1 jumped out and 1 wasted away with what looked like a tumour.

Until someone can show proven scientific testing of fish and high noise levels I'll keep listening as it doesn't seem to bother mine at all.

Keep in mind too, the noise created in an aquarium by the air pump is very loud. Stick you ear against the side of your tank. This is how loud it is to the fish...

Have to say it....I think anyone that thinks music/speakers/vibrations/bass/dB and fish are a good thing, don't care much about fish. Haven't seen a lot of speakers near the Amazon lately.

That also goes then for people who use airpumps, powerheads and internal filter. All which create a loud hum inside the tank. What's worse about these is they make the noise all the time, not just for short periods of time now and then.

All which create a loud hum inside the tank. What's worse about these is they make the noise all the time, not just for short periods of time now and then.

Exactly. That way they get used to it, and dont get shocked every time when it makes sounds every now and then. They would not be in a constant state of shock. But when the sound comes and goes, they get shocked every time.

Please to correct me if I'm wrong, this is just what I think happens.

Not if they can't hear it over the hum. It would take a very loud stereo to couple enough sound into a tank to be louder than the hum...

What I'd be more worried about is the long-term exposure to a constantly loud noise level in the tank. I don't have any airpumps or noise generating mechanical devices in my tank. When you put your ear against the tank it is silent.

Stick your ear onto the side of your tank and block your other ear while the stereo is blasting. Bet you don't hear anything much coupled into the tank and certainly nothing above the noise floor (ambient hum) in the tank...