Cold Plants for pond ? netting

djay

Hi guys,

Have been checking around to see what plants are safe for cold water and my Orandas in pond, doesn't seem to be many, I was wondering what plants you may have in yours that are safe. any ideas would be appreciated pond is 60cm deep.

Hi what do you think of netting over your pond is it needed i have put it over mine ,but it looked better without it have a few cats around not mine though.

Should i try it without if so, How far from the top should i have water level so they can't get my Orandas.

Thanks

djay

Hi guys,

Have been checking around to see what plants are safe for cold water and my Orandas in pond, doesn't seem to be many, I was wondering what plants you may have in yours that are safe. any ideas would be appreciated pond is 60cm deep.

Hi what do you think of netting over your pond is it needed i have put it over mine ,but it looked better without it have a few cats around not mine though.

Should i try it without if so, How far from the top should i have water level so they can't get my Orandas.

Thanks

djay

I'm not sure what you mean by "Safe". I've had in my pond, Duckweed, riccia, cabomba, ambulia, indian fern and crypt. pontiderifolia (Or something like that)

I would have thought most plants would be "safe" in Papakura. You don't get that cold up there.

Netting can be useful if you are troubled by cats or falling leaves.

Best way to stop cats is to make sure the edging wobbles or rocks. They do not like it when the ground moves when they go to look in the water.

I doubt water level makes a difference. A friend had trouble with a neighbour's cat who just dived in, swam about until it caught a fish (and these were huge!) then swam out with it :roll:

I have a cool plant with yellow flowers (think its called water buttercup) its relatively low growing and spread - great for fry. Also got some variegated grass thing and a couple of others that i dont know what they are.

Go to your local plant shop and have a look at what they have in their water plant area this will give you some idea what is out there. But research the plants first as some dont do so well submerged.

As for netting - it works until the cats realise they can break it and get to the fish that way.