Swordtails dying - can't figure out cause.

zealous

Hi I am posting on behalf of a friend.

Its a new tank set-up about 1 month ago its a 60L tank heater is set to 28c water temp stays at about 24-25, however had had a few cold nights where tank would have gone down to 22c

Fish in tank are:

1x brislenose pleco

2x Guppy Male/Female

2x Kuhli Loaches

2x Zebra Danios

6x Neon Tetras

2x Male Swordtails

2x Female Swordtails

A week ago a male guppy was introduced along with a new plant, three days later it died.

The new plant was introduced about 5 days before both swords died.

Few days ago a male swordtail died, so did a 50% water change tested PH it was 7.8 so adjusted it down a little.

Last night a Female Swordtail died, was looking sad over the last few days, slow swimming and the male was never interested in her. (male is interested in other smaller female).

I have recommended a small water change everyday, to make sure it is clean, and to add another heater.

No fish show any signs of disease, I think it could be the plant, going to take it out later today.

Please post if you think you might know what is happening, or if you have any ideas of what to do next, thanks.

You definitely need another heater or a biggerheater.

Test your ammonia and nitrate levels, You seem to be fairly heavily stocked especially for such a new tank.

Got one heater on order. hopefully will arrive tomorrow morning. I will have to buy a test kit for ammonia and nitrate. will go to pet shop soon.

What kind of plant is it?

Don't know, bought from the pet shop, will find out and post back soon.

My biggest concern is when you mentioned "adjusting down' the pH. How did you do that?

I have a PH testing kit, and the test shows high alkaline levels. Kit comes with pH up and pH down I think its made my Aqua One.

Thanks for helping, you guys are awesome.

Dan

Fish can handle a range of pH values but it is the fluctuations that can cause big problems. Using the pH up and down can cause the pH to 'crash' or fluctuate so much that the fish may be seriously affected.

My advice would be to not add any chemicals to the water (other than water conditioner to remove chlorine). The local pet shop should be able to test your water for ammonia and nitrites if you don't have a kit.

Fish can handle a range of pH values but it is the fluctuations that can cause big problems. Using the pH up and down can cause the pH to 'crash' or fluctuate so much that the fish may be seriously affected.

My advice would be to not add any chemicals to the water (other than water conditioner to remove chlorine). The local pet shop should be able to test your water for ammonia and nitrites if you don't have a kit.

I was very careful when lowering the pH I only changed the value by .2 (BTW pH was 7.4 not 7.8 as I posted sorry)

The Pet Shop only wanted to sell me a ammonia testing kit for $31, but also suggested to make water changes more frequently. Going to do 5-10L every couple of days for a while.

The Plant is called Water Wisteria and it was not sterilized or cleaned before putting it into the tank (prob a bad mistake).

You mention the tank was only set up a month ago but you already had 18 fish in it. You have tested the pH (and there is nothing wrong with 7.4) but more important are the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I suspect poor water quality is killing the fish. Most of those fish would handle 22C.

Also, livebearers need to be in a ratio of 1 male to 3 or 4 females to spread the aggression.

It takes a minimum of two weeks for a tank to get the required bacterial culture in the filter and this is supported first by ammonia and then nitrite build up. This is the cycling process. Only then can you start building up the bioload by gradually adding more fish. If you add too many fish at once, the bacteria in the filter will not be enough to handle the waste and there will be an ammonia spike and then a nitrite spike which can potentially kill the fish.

You can speed up the cycling process by adding mature media or seeding your new media with water or substrate from a healthy mature tank.

You mention the tank was only set up a month ago but you already had 18 fish in it. You have tested the pH (and there is nothing wrong with 7.4) but more important are the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I suspect poor water quality is killing the fish. Most of those fish would handle 22C.

Also, livebearers need to be in a ratio of 1 male to 3 or 4 females to spread the aggression.

Yea sorry bout that, didn't have all the details, its not my tank..

The tank came with pleco, female guppy, 2 neons, and 2 kuhli loaches

the 4 neons were added first with the zebra danios then the 4 swords a week later and finally the male guppy this is all over about 2 weeks.

here is a photo of the tank as it is now.

P1040689-1.jpg

sorry bout the bad lighting