Custom lighting,

s3xtcy

Hey everyone, im just investigating what would be involved in making a light for a tank i have on the cheap, is it possible to use a desklamp, or a few? what sort of bulbs are reccommended? i was thinking 2x halogen lamps aimed over the tank, would look pretty alright i think :) but not sure about the bulbs??

any info would be greatly appreciated, cheers!! :bounce:

that is blue hygrophilia still in its emersed form.

This is what it is like in my tank.

It will sustain itself under the light mentioned above, as will some other plants - but won't flourish and grow like wild fire. In fact no plants will grow like wild fire under that light.

DSC08289Small.jpg

and im wanting to breed fish in the tank too, at this stage odessa barbs, then swordtails, etc

Breeding fish usually doesn't require any particular lighting :wink:

It will sustain itself under the light mentioned above, as will some other plants - but won't flourish and grow like wild fire. In fact no plants will grow like wild fire under that light.

Which light? The halogen right?

DSC08289Small.jpg

Wow yours looks awesome!

Also what size tank, what kind of hood and what requirements?

The tank is approx 910mm Long, 380mm wide, and 390mm high, with approx 5mm glass

Which light? im still not sure what kind of bulb to use, halogen or normal house bulb? I just want the light to keep the plants alive, the fish happy and healthy, and to make the tank look nice when it gets darker :) plus any other benefits that it may have??

If you want to keep the plants 'alive' you can use the energysavers like sam said.

if you do, buy the phillips bulbs as they are the best in that range.

Great, thanks :) are there any other bulbs that have other benefits?

Is it possible to use halogen lamps? Ive got one floating around that can be edited to suit :)

• 1 month later...

Sorry about not replying, this is, unfortunately, not needed anymore, as the tank decided to crack and as a result pour 150 odd litres through our brand new carpet :evil: have not had the best of luck with fish recently.. thanks for everyones help though, its muchly appreciated.. :-?

The first plant is Hygrophila salicifolia (willow leaf) grown emersed and the second is Hygrophila stricta (cherry leaf, temple plant) grown emersed. Salicifolia (usually sold as angustifolia) is more commonly available down here because the stricta tends to grow rank and flower more readily when grown emersed. I think the stricta looks better submersed.