Lovers of Kaimoana, dont look on an empty stomach

After seeing a thread last week about smoked kahawai, decided this weekend to get some mussels and smoke em up!!

Prepared Shelled Mussels

Touch of salt and brown sugar

img5344small.jpg

Prepared the Smoker

Few chips as mine are coarse

img5345smallj.jpg

Wacked them in for 10-15 mins

And Voila!!

img5346smallr.jpg

img5347smallf.jpg

P.S. They were yummmm :lol:

now tell me

Are they they best you have ever had?

Problem is that they take so long to prepare and by the time you have the next lot in, the family has finished the first lot off

Just a pity you didnt tell me where you live :evil: :wink:

now tell me

Are they they best you have ever had?

Problem is that they take so long to prepare and by the time you have the next lot in, the family has finished the first lot off

Just a pity you didnt tell me where you live :evil: :wink:

Theyre up the top with the best, but for a basic feed hell yea, best i ever had were marinated after opening in some kinda sauce

:lol: Yes the preparing part is the worst part, hadnt shelled mussels in aaaaages lol, had to sharpen the knife.

:lol: Might have to pull out the kaimoana at a regional meet up or something, im sure everyone will appreciate it, you'll just have to travel to TGA

:bow:

I have just had dinner - but it still makes me hungry!

Hmmmm... isn't BFR hosting conference next year???

Im not too familiar with timetables of events....but if its something I can go to locally then im there, could even put down a hangi for a club meeting lol, wouldnt be that expensive if I had numbers and everyone put in some money. I need to get in contact with the local club :oops:

One of my favourites is:

40 mussels

100ml white wine

100ml stock (chicken oxo cube is fine)

1 finely chopped onion

3 cloves garlic chopped

300ml cream

2 tsp chopped fresh thyme

2 Tbsp chopped Parsley

2 tsp grated fresh Ginger

2 Spring Onions

freshly ground black pepper for seasoning

100g butter - should be unsalted but don't usually have it, so normal stuff is fine.

Wash and de-whisker mussels, put them in a large pot with the wine, stock, onions and garlic.

Cover with tight fitting lid and bring to the boil rapidly.

Shake the pot at times to move the mussels around.

When they start to open remove them and put them in a large bowl and cover to stop them drying out.

Boil the stock to reduce slightly and then add the cream and herbs.

The recipe says to reduce this further by half, but we are usually too impatient, so we let it boil for a wee while then remove it from the heat and add the butter and season and give it a whisk with a fork.

You can either divide the mussels up into serving bowls and ladle the sauce over, or just chuck it over the big bowl and fight over them.

Serve with crusty bread to mop up the sauce.

Ew Hangi! :oops: lol!

*points to herself*

Whitest Maori you will ever see here! The right colour etc .... but thats it! :oops:

PLastic Maori :lol: My brother is the same, hes 27 and considerably darker than me (im really halfcast looking), 1st time ever that he tried pipis a few weeks back....no go straight in the bin for him :lol:

baked potatoes we call you down here Mystic

Brownon the outside

White in the Middle

Same as me tho Luvvvvee titi and stuff but cant stand hangi

Draw the line at Kina as well

grandma used to dig a hole on the beach and get all the kina that we found and put it in a sack and leave it for weeks then we would go back and all the spines will have fallen off then she woudl sit and drink those Kina like there was no tomorrow.

Gagging just thining about it