anubias nana questions

Sophia

Here's mine

It's quite small as it has been through being chopped back to one leaf after being smothered in staghorn.

Now it's growing again and I am wondering this:

can I cut the front of the plant and some roots away from the back and will that make the back root mass sprout?

front view

front.jpg

back view

back.jpg

Wait for it to attach, the put a cut in the middle of it and it should shoot out the side.

I find the small leaves take A LOT longer to grow than when it is big. I have 1 big one sending out a new leaf every week... the smaller has had 1 in 3 months.

It's been attached for a number of months.

Where on the stem would you cut it Dennis? On the top of root mass as it curves down the hill?

This one has always been quite a quick grower, the stems and leaves used to be twice as long till I chopped it. It now has a windelov fern on the log to keep it company, or shame it into growing faster :lol:

I'm no expert on this... but anywhere should be fine.

The current leaves will still want some rhizome to keep it attached... And the new sprouts shoot off a few MM below the cut. But the leaves do start off very small, so don't bother moving it untill it has really grown bigger.

you don't cut it all off.

if you have to make a thin incision that cuts half the root but not all of it.

Shoot and Root development made easy -

2 chemicals you need to worry about. auxin and cytokynin.

more auxin - shoot growth

more cytokynin - root growth

(EDIT) maybe its the other way around....

if you really want more leaves, change the position of the light - that will stimulate the auxin naturally and you will get a new shoot.

HTH. its not the most technical post, but if you google and research some more you can use applications of this concept in many areas of plant growth.