Building a Nano-Reef

livebearer_breeder

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would, and do use a surface skimmer on my tank. The fluval surface skimmer was crap. Atman do a cheap Ehiem copy that I find works well.

I use JBL PhosEx to keep my phosphate levels down and would suggest something like that in your cannister. It works well for me.

Believe me, you need a skimmer. A cheap skimmer is better than no skimmer.

You need good lighting, even for mushrooms. If it is just a single tube then I would go with a PowerGlo tube and replace it every 6 months. If you add a second, a Marine Glo would be good.

My tank runs on powerheads, cannister filters, T5's and a 10 year old skimmer. The lights are new and the difference is amazing. Corals that were not growing are growing and those that were are growing even faster.

Shea, regarding the lights, figured it might help if I explained a little since eveyone is saying "do this" but not saying why.

I dont claim to be an expert and this just my understanding so anyone please correct any thing I have wrong

Firstly fluro tubes "wear out" i.e. lose there briteness, at around 6 months your only getting about half the output, althrough you cant see the difference the corals (mushies) or plants for freshwater can.

Next, water absorbs light at different rates pending on the wave length, what this basically means red light doesnt get very deep into the water, blue and green do (which is why the sea looks blue) therefore corals only use blue/green light to grow cause thats all they get in the wild.

If you think about it, in the wild algae tends to grown where plants/coral arent doing so well, ie closer to the surface where there is more red light therefore red light can = algae. Note this doesnt hold true for non-water plants (because there is no water filtering the light) which is why hydroponic grow tubes are some times pink.

Common tubes for marine are 10000+k (kevin) which are cold white looking but are actually quite a blue color (these are also used for plants in fresh water) and actinic (which is a type not a color) blue tubes. these tubes are really blue, like nightclub blue!

The "light bulb man" in chews lane in the city stocks these tubes, they are the proper aqurium tube (not that it matters) same as the LFS sell, he charges around $25 for a 3 foot, dont know how much other sizes are.

One other quick note regarding skimmers, just need to know with venturi (i.e. pump driven skimmers), they are really good, BUT, they often dont come with a pump, you can get the skimmer for maybe $100 for a cheap one like a queen turbo but then find you have to fork out $300+ for a big enough pump that will last in salt water.

If you think about it, in the wild algae tends to grown where plants/coral arent doing so well, ie closer to the surface where there is more red light therefore red light can = algae.

not completely true a plant (or algea) will photsynthesise in red or blue light, it is green light that couses algae as plants (or zooxanthelae (sp?)) will not photosynthesis under this light the reason red light will cause alges is that the watter absorbes the red end so there is only green (and some red ) left to be photsynthesised under

IMHO cheap pumps aren't worth spending money on, they dont last in salt water, leak water, and some leak oil, so yes Eheim or Iwaki. I made the mistake of buying a resun to drive my skimmer, it's only been running 6 months, is noisy and already needs to be replaced, plus it leaks so I have to run it in the tank which heats up the water, so a waste of $130. The Resun one replaced a Rio pump (the first one I got), another waste of $130 only used for a month.

The other problem with driving skimmers is they have heaps of back pressure, which kill cheap pumps.