southern bell frogs...what can I feed them???

aquadude

one of my two tadpoles have turned into a frog

What can I now feed it..

can I make my own culture for flys...if so ...how

Can I feed them garden worms..if so..do I put the uncut worm on the platform

any suggestions appreciated

currently feeding them fish food crushed pellets

We're first timers too, though we have northern bells, our first one changed about a week ago, Siran bought a wee pack of blow fly pupae from the LPS. He's looking really good now so we assume he's eating, (we've finally found his hidey hole) his colour's coming in nice, with the gold stripey bit as well. You could go catch pretty much anything small enough to fit in their mouths(grass hoppers, crickets, flies etc) or just cheat like us and buy some live food from your LPS.

There is a guy in Christchurch that sells a few different types of fly traps on Trademe and they work pretty well. I use two different ones for my frogs.

Yes, those are good Alan. Mine catches more than my frogs can eat.

Search the name paulythefish

Did you ever dream you would actually be paying someone for some flies!!! :lol: I certainly didn't.

I used to have a fly box when I had 8 frogs - my mates called me the maggot lady :-?

We've all got pretty good at fly catching now. Been thinking about one of those traps - good to know they work well.

Blow flies are better than houseflies but variety is better than both. Just stay away from the brightly coloured poisonous stuff. The old sayingis true I think. If you can't mate with it then eat it (problem is if you can mate with it and it will fit in your mouth all options are open)

Flies are good, but not much nutrition thats the only thing compared to something like a cricket. Definately the most readily available (for me anyway) and if bought, probably the cheapest.

However, if you have the energy to breed crickets, then thats probably best. I feed my whistlers on little pinheads (and fruitflies for variation) at the mo. Will feed them larger ones as they grow.

Other foods can be slaters, small-med locusts, grasshoppers, cicadas (my golden bell loves cicadas in the summer), moths. Just make sure they are from pesticide free areas.

traps are only as good as your bait, blood and meat is all good :wink: smelly though, need to watch which way the wind is blowing :lol:

i find they bring more flies to the neighborhood, not really clean up the flies around the place :x

crickets best, locusts slaters and moths good. flies good for a bit of exercise.

The frogs will be brumating soon so you will not need to worry for a while.

we still have 3 tadpoles left to transform, and it looks like they have a fair ways to go, will they just hibernate as soon as they do?

I was having a read up about Bells last night and it seems water temp seems to have a lot to do with their growth, if we heated their water some how will that help speed up the transformation process so they have time to prepare for brumation?

I probably wouldnt bother brumating in first year. Maybe when getting a bit of size on but not needed. not much fun having a tank with no activity.

Some studies claim that water temp doesnt directly effect growth rates, only that it stops them completely once under a certain temp. Possibly how they survive our winters so well. In some cases they will still eat but not grow :o . Fascinating and very hardy little tadpoles. Still I wouldnt tempt fate, possibly something to try when theyre frogs and 4/5cm+

If wanting the tadpoles to turn into frogs id keep the temp above 18C

I didn't realize it(brumation) was something you can control, is it temp related once again? I just checked the water temp now (it's almost 2.30, and reasonably warm) and it's sitting just above 18'.

Oh and that's another question.....the t5s in the hood get much to hot, if could find some really low wattage tubes will they still get just as hot? if not will that warm the tank enough to stop them from brumating without cooking them and the plants?

yea most reptiles and amphibians brumate to survive winter, maybe needed for breeding. But thats not the aim for most keeping frogs in captivity. Some herps seem to try and do so regardless of temp at around 1 or 2 years of age, generally once of breeding size. but even those will not go into full brumation if temps kept up. Some say its natural blah blah blah, keeping them in a tank isnt natural so in my opinion dont go there. I wouldnt even think about it with frogs until theyre of reasonable size, even then I only really recommend it if wanting to breed. As can cause more trouble than its worth. Main problem with brumating indoors is the temp likely wont get cold enough (and or will fluctuate too much) so they may still try and eat. but cant properly digest it.

not sure about lights, if theyre fluro tubes then i think the wattage is based on the length, so probably no alternative. Not sure how well the lights will heat the water tbh. I would put an aquarium heater (if worried temp will go to low). How lows to low i honestly dont know, southerns maybe bouncing around the tank at 10c but i doubt it. They may well be fine without it, just keep an eye on them.

I was thinking more about tadpoles in last post re-temps, as they wont morph if its too cold, they will wait for winter to pass then do so etc. Wouldnt recommend that as winter in a tank is not anything like a pond. Each to their own though.

Brumation is an example of dormancy in reptiles that is similar to hibernation.[2][3] It differs from hibernation in the metabolic processes involved.[4]

Reptiles generally begin brumation in late fall (more specific times depend on the species). They will often wake up to drink water and return to "sleep". Captive reptiles should not be offered food during this time, as the temperature is too low for them to digest their meal. They can go months without food. Reptiles may want to eat more than usual before the brumation time, but will eat less or refuse food as the temperature drops. However, they do need to drink water. The brumation period is anywhere from 1-8 months depending on the air temperature and the size, age, and health of the reptile. During the first year of life, many small reptiles do not fully brumate, but rather slow down and eat less often. Brumation should not be confused with hibernation; when mammals hibernate they are actually asleep, when reptiles brumate they are less active, their metabolism slows down so they just don't need to eat as often. Reptiles can often go through the whole winter without eating. Brumation is triggered by cold weather/lack of heat, and the decrease in the amount of hours of daylight in the winter.

info from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dormancy

above seems to be reasonably accurate :D