Nano sump design help

breakaway

Yeah it's from melv's reef.

Weir's work fine, they have some limits but so long as you work with-in these your wont have any problems.

Which limitations? The only ones I've come up with is

1. Air locking due to air bubbles - but I plan to rectify this by making a hole in the top of the wier and connecting an airline to the venturi of a power head

2. Flow rate - plan to make it exactly like shown on the image, it should be able to handle the rate of flow in my 40L tank without any issues.

Yep those two points, plus they are a bit of a pain to fill the bend with water when they are hard plumbed. You have to watch extended power cuts or if you loose all water in the bend. For example when you do a water change and the tank water level drops below the power head venturi, breaking the air lock in the bend. The power head venturi doesn't remove the air fast or strong enough if you loose all the water in the bend so you have to manually re-prime.

HTH

I actually priced it all up, and the nano is going to cost about the same amount as a full tank, with the only savings being in the inital cost for the tank/stand and halide fixtures etc. Decided that this measly saving isn't worth the lack of space for livestock etc. So I'm saving for a bigger tank :bounce: