A word on photoperiod, algae, and taking own advice.

Cricketman

I have been keping fish for many a year now, about 10 years all up, and I have hardly ever had an algae problem until earlier this year. (luck? most likely)

This was the algae that would not die. I have a suspision that a phosphorous-laden load on a truck or something must have blown a dust into my tank (i live above a truck yard) and thus started it. It is a heavily planted tank too.

There were 2 types, a black, low-lying, everything-covering, smothering one, that stunted my plant growth, and a small green dot one. The latter being of little concern.

The former was my nemisis.

I battled with it, SAE couldnt move it, pleco couldnt move it. So I resorted to chemical warefare.

API "Algaefix" was the weapon of choice. And it was effective. The black sheet of night started to lift, and my SAE went nuts for it now it could get into it. Pretty soon it was gone. YAY!

Now the little green one, whilst not as bad has not been defeated so easily. Using phos-zorb i managed to remove much of the phosphorous that was in there. But seeing as how some algae have the ability to scavenge phosphorous from dying algal cells, it did not stop the green algae.

Recently I thought to reduce my photoperiod, only by 2 hours. from ~13 to just over 10.

The change has been almost instant. With the increased plant growth (they seem un-impeded thusfar by the light change) and the reduced lighting, the green dots are vanishing (particulary on the heavier planted side of the tank, I imagine the plants are absorbing the nutrients before the algae now)

So, moral of the story:

API "algaefix" is great if you get to your wits end with a horrible outbreak. But photoperiod changes of as little as a couple hours are also super-effective.

As I have read and told many people before, but took me doing it myself to realise exactly HOW effective.

>.<

I also reduced my photoperiod from 12 to 10 a few months back because i had all those little green dots that wouldn't come off! It fixed the problem where i don't seem to be getting any more, but i still had to use a razor to get them off the front of the glass! They are stubborn as heck!

Thanks for the post though :) Very good lessons learnt!

My tanks both are on 12-13 hours. No green dot algae on the glass, no hair algae, no cyano. Only algae is a bit in little cracks and crevices of rocks. I haven't even scrubbed the glass in either one in probably 2-3 years.

:hail: Agreed, I can be done, even with 18 hour photoperiods. It is all about balance between lights, ferts and CO2. Have the right balance and it is brilliant!

What balance? Ancient lights, no fertilisers, no co2, irregular water changes...All are the secret to no algae.:P