After my trip to aus(see what my tank turn into in 7days )

ben19185074

DSCN1289.JPG

DSCN1297.JPG

DSCN1298.JPG

by the way does anyone have any good ways to clear out this "droppings" made from my bicolour_blenny (don't tell me to try clean it every 2days)

DSCN1296.JPG

and this worm...

DSCN1293.JPG

for any guys that want to know my equipment: T5 1 blue 1 white, eheim 2227wet/dry, prizm skimmer, via powerhead(got this because i want it to help clear the droppings but don't seem to help) oh the tank is a 90L from Aquaone Ar620 (throw out the standard lights and filter)

anyway...a good clean of my tank needs to be done tonight

Grow the calurpa to remove nutrients. However you do realise that you will actually have to remove the calurpa for this to work? If you feed it to the fish it stays in the system.

Definatly cyno on the bottom of the tank. We all (most) of us have some cyno. I've seen lots of cyno on the reefs. My new theory, if you don't have cyno your tank is unhealthy.

Pie

what size is the tank? the reason i went off having a marine tank was becuase i wanted a smallish one, and everyone told me you cant keep a small marine tank.

i have a friend who has one of those little jebos, and keeps 2 seahorses in it. could i do something like that? or could i have a tropical marine tank?

Shae 250

If you had someone to mentor you, you could probably do it.

If going alone I think your chances of success are greatly improved with a big tank, becasue the volume of water bufferrs you a bit.

Pies- the WGTN reef club (whats happening here) could potentially start a small tank mentor program........

Definatly cyno on the bottom of the tank. We all (most) of us have some cyno. I've seen lots of cyno on the reefs. My new theory, if you don't have cyno your tank is unhealthy.

FYI this is a joke. I ment no offence to anyone who does't have cyno and I apploigise to anyone who took offensive to my comments.

Layton, how about posting some more pictures of your tank and setup? Only seem to get a pic out of you every few months, i'd love to see more of it. Particulary coral growth and coral colour photos.

Pies

For the people that want to know info about my tank plz read from the top again...my tank is running for about 1year.

What is cyno and marco algae? (Sorry about this dumb question but iam from Hong Kong and i only know the terms well in chinese....)

Non of my fish eats calurpa...thats why they are growing like crazy.

As to livebearer_breeder question about small tank.....it is totally possible just need to check out nano-reef, and most of the starter tank in hk is only 50-100L. (my one is only 90L) But once again bigger the better this is because for me i would only need to spend a extra 200-300$ to get a tank that double in size (maybe because all the equipment i brought can be use in a much bigger tank) and this could allow me to have more chooses. Like now i can't even keep a bigger fish. Anyway my suggestion is at least a 150L but anything as small as a 50L is possible.

Oh...not the seahorse for sure (if you don't want to buy a chiller)

There are tropical seahorses. I have seen them in reefs, but people have problems with them under heavy lights, aparantly they can get algae growing on their backs which slowly kills them.

Small tanks are possible, but require more work and intervention on the part of the keeper. Still better a small reef than no reef :)

I must admit I am tempted to setup a nano for my desk at work. A pair of clowns, an anemone and some mushrooms and button polyps. DIY skimmer, etc etc. One day...

Cyno is a type of bacterria (Cynobacterria) and is unsightly. No real evidence of it being a sign of unhealthyness or anything but it does look horrible. I have none in my 740 litre tank and a bit in my 300 litre tank that all runs on the same water. So for me I suspect its either light, current or both. Many have luck by increasing current, this hasn't worked for me. Don't panic about it though.

Mirco algae is a catch-all name for algae like calurpa which is what you have (Calurpa Racemosa). Racemosa is one of the easiest calurpas to eradicate as its so easy to remove, take it out as often as you can as it can go 'sexual' which will polute the water and make it go milky white, which is bad, but the pressence of calurpa is OK and many of us have it both in the tank and in the sump.

Pies

I must admit I am tempted to setup a nano for my desk at work. A pair of clowns, an anemone and some mushrooms and button polyps. DIY skimmer, etc etc. One day...

Pies

that is exactly what i want! if any1 could help on this? to be honest i dont know the reef talk? i dont even no what a skimmer does let alone how to make one, form what ive read, having a reef tank in nz, means you have to alot of DIY, what man wouldnt want DIY and fish!!!

Shae 250