Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

GBA just keep on breeding

Featured Replies

Hi, I first noticed baby GBA mid Jan. Since then we have had two more broods. ( only small broods-) I noticed the 3rd lot coming out last night.

I have only seen the male a couple of times since the beginning of the year. He is holed up in his cave looking after the kids. I saw him last night and he looked a little skinny. I try to leave some food outside his cave and hope he comes out a night to eat it.

Will he be eating the eggs and that's why we only have small broods?

How long can he keep this up? Will he just give up when he has had enough or should remove him and give him a rest?

There is only one adult female in with him. What is the best ratio of male/female to keep in one tank?

Thanks

Sally

Hi Sally. My GBAs breed fairly constantly too, a brood a month seems to be the average.

I do the same as you, put food outside the males cave, and he always looks healthy and well fed. I've never seen my male eat his eggs. Sometimes the brood is small, sometimes its large, I think that's just the way it goes. Having said that, if yours looks like he's losing weight then it might be a good thing for him to have a couple of weeks rest.

It's best to have more females than males, say 2F to 1M.

Brood size will be related to the parents size or genetics. Mine breed around once per month (some due to hatch tomorrow infact lol). Nah they wont eat the eggs, an egg came out of the cave when I cleaned them out two days ago and it is still there this morning (developing!) with 4 adult females and around 80 one month olds in there lol. Crazy!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.