Low Lighting for Large Tank

purplecatfish

It's time for a tank makeover...

What would be 'low lighting' for the tank detailed below? In T8 and in T5?

2.5 metre long, 580 mm wide, 600 mm deep (100 mm of substrate and 50 mm of air at the top of the tank).

Plants would be Anubias species on driftwood, Java Fern varieties also on driftwood, and Cryptocoryne species. Possibly also Cyperus helferii and Aponogeton (both of which reach the surface). The driftwood makes the Anubias and Java Fern about 300mm down from the lights

What would be medium lighting for the same tank in a 600 by 600 patch? (I'm thinking of possibly having an Echinodorus patch surrounded with low lighting every else. Think spotlighted area on a dim stage).

Why can't we just accept that a MH is not an option? :roll:

PC- your normal aquarium tubes will be alite for some swords, even if the tank is 2ft deep, and will illuminate what is just beneath them in an "A" sort of shape. If the tank has lids you can even use normal desk halogen lamps with the wrong spectrum light to illuminate the rest of it. the halogens won't do the swords any good but the effect is pretty neat. like a spot light.

Currently there are 8 x 54w T5 worth of lights on the tank. Which is enough for the E. tennulus tennulus carpet and the E. osirus. There's approx .6w per litre or 298w per sq metre.

But there is too much light for the Anubias so I'm thinking of downsizing the lighting on the end areas of the tank. I'm also looking at raising the drift wood so that I can see into the 'cave' areas that all the fish like to hide in (they like sitting in the shade), so the number of lumens will increase for the plants on the driftwood unless I go to low light levels.

So back to the original question...

What would be 'low lighting' for the tank? In T8 and in T5?

I was unaware of the current lighting on the tank. Personally I'd focus all the T5s (if possible) on the focal point of swords and just have a double T8 strip running for the anubias.

Also, forget the whole watts per litre theory, it's rubbish.

HTH

What's the average temperature of the room and what temperature would you like the tank to be?

Average room temperature is 18° Celcius and I would like the aquarium to maintain a stable temperature of 26° celcius.

allow me to introduce you to the concept of a thermostat. :lol:

In such a small quantity of water it would be switching on and off like a strobe light.

any how.. PC did you get the answer you were looking for? :o

Ah, the classic thread jack.

What's the average temperature of the room and what temperature would you like the tank to be?

The math is difficult to do, experimentally would be much easier. Plug a power meter into the tank, see how much it draws on average over a week.

I'm working on figuring out the math for a vague simplified case approximation...If I do I will post it. I'm having trouble finding values...

Ok...Let's see...If I'm doing this right.

We'll do a super simplified case of just taking into account the heat loss through the front, sides and back of the sump and tank because the top and bottoms will be relatively more insulated.

The equation is Rate= h*A*Diff Temp

h=Heat transfer coefficient

A=Surface area

Diff temp= obviously the difference in temperature.

First we need to find out the heat transfer coefficient of the tank. This is basically the how quickly heat will transfer through the glass to the outside world. and is h= k/x where k is the thermal conductivity of glass(About 1.13w/(m*K)) and x is thickness in meters. We'll use 6mm in this case.

That means

h= 1.1/.006

h= 183

This is the number of watts lost per square meter per degree temperature difference.

Next, we need to calculate the surface area of the tank plus the sump. Everyone should be able to figure this out on their own.

So A= .89 square meters

Difference in temp is 8 degrees.

That leaves us with

Rate=183*.89*8

Rate 1303 watts

Which...Is a LOT more than I'd expect in practice. I think this will be basically the absolute peak heat loss in this situation before theair against the glass warms up and the temperature difference drops.