Co2 system

DennisP

i found this.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 501031.htm

(probably belongs to someone on here)

i know i could search the internet for info on co2 systems, (which i have, briefly) but i would like to know from ppl with experience.

Would this have all that i need?

Because it would cost lots to ship to me, i'll probably build/buy one in chch, so how would i do that to make it affordable.

TBH i dont really know what is needed in 1 of these systems. The diagrams i've seen are too complicated for me.

TBH i dont really know what is needed in 1 of these systems. The diagrams i've seen are too complicated for me.

Same here sort of. I know that the system you've linked to is complete, just added CO2 and you're off. I'm assuming you've tried DIY too?

Same here sort of. I know that the system you've linked to is complete, just added CO2 and you're off. I'm assuming you've tried DIY too?

haven't tried DIY, i think it was p44(?) said that it wouldn't have much effect in my 240l... so i guess its not worth the effort.

Also, how much does co2 cost to refill, and how often do i have to do that?

haven't tried DIY, i think it was p44(?) said that it wouldn't have much effect in my 240l... so i guess its not worth the effort.

If you diffuse it well enough and use enough bottles, it can work.

Also, how much does co2 cost to refill, and how often do i have to do that?

$30.00 I think?

I just bought a set from Sera

The bottle (.5 kg), diffuser, hose and regulator cost me $ 520 :o

After 11 days (the guy in the shop said something about 2 months :-? ) my bottle run out (just started so using a bit to much I guess), went back to the shop and they would charge me $ 25 for a refill, now I found a address that fills the little one for $ 10

So your set on TM is quite a good deal, a refill (major guess) $ 40-45

I got a 6 kg bottle now with a (big) regulator which is a lot cheaper and does the same thing (looks a bit like the TM set).

Will put up some pics soon

All of this is for a 700 litre fish tank

Well... i bought it.

And now i think i should do some research........

What problems do i/will i face?

@p44, u said ur puffer tank is at 4.5 ph? will my tank end up like this? my discus wont like that i dont think....

What is a good diffuser? Are any far superior than others?

What bubble rate should i have?

start off with maybe 20 BPS, see how it goes from there. I think you got a good deal.

get a pH controller if you so wish, but your discus will be fine in that pH - if it ever did go that low - I personally would go with a pH controller and a timer if that system does not already have them.

A good diffuser is one that work well :lol: if you see tiny bubbles it is good enough, but technically speaking the more expensive high quality diffusers will have been tested for diffusion rates, surface area, frit size etc.

but technically speaking the more expensive high quality diffusers will have been tested for diffusion rates, surface area, frit size etc.

:o

:-?

Umm... are ph controllers those electronic things? aren't they like $$$$ x a million??

Timer... would a wall timer work?

Umm... are ph controllers those electronic things? aren't they like $$$$ x a million??

something like that yeah.

you can use a normal digi timer ($18 or so from the warehouse) or the normal dial type timers to control the duration of CO2.

It is not necessary to have the lights and CO2 on the same circuit, the difference in timing would have a negligible effect on the plants.

plants use CO2 during the day - when they make use of light to photosynthesise... O2 is produced by the plants.

At night, the reaction reverses and plants take in O2 and release CO2, so CO2 injection is not needed at night.

The process is more complicated than just an on and off switch but if you let CO2 into your tank an hour after the lights go off, or ten for that matter- it won't be the end of the world.

Would i have to start adding the c02 slowly to avoid shocking the fish, or causing algae outbreak?
Yes, definately. Adding a bunch of CO2 all of a sudden will often cause an algae outbreak. Build it up slowly as you also build up lighting and nutrients so the plants can outcompete any algae.

use a PH controller or test your PH and KH and use this site to workout how much co2 is in your tank

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

you can also get co2 drop tester which will monitor the amount of co2 in your tank....with a press co2 system you can easily add too much co2 which will harm your fish

Well.... I got my co2 regulator and stuff today.

Bubble counter fluid = water?

And... The diffuser is little and green and ugly. (will post picture soon)

But... it has a white cover thingy in it... and i dont know if it needs to come off and whether it is big enough...

Help me lol

I'd prefer a glass diffusor, which i will probably buy if i can find one at a reasonable price.

Tell me what i need to do please! :-?

Tomorrow i will go buy a c02 bottle.

Is there anything i need to know before i buy one? eg what type?

Where is a good place to look? because i really have no idea...

I'm in the same boat, been looking for places that refill so I can decide on what type of bottle to get.

There is always sodastream or FE :)

fordayzbro is onto it, sort out where you can get a bottle refilled, if they have food grade C02, if they can certify your bottle if it is out of date, and if they will fill a bottle you provide, because some do not and will only fill the bottles they rent to you.

I get mine refilled at Fire Security Services Limited, but I do not think there is a branch in your area.