DIY Co2 Setup......Check valve???

maoripho3nix

Hey all,

I just setup my DIY Co2 System (Bottle, Yeast, Sugar, Molasses, Water). I have a hang on type filter and have the plastic tubing from the bottle to the inlet of the filter, impeller/filter works good as a Co2 diffuser/reactor.

Sometimes a common problem with this DIY setup is that the mix in the bottle can fluctuate in reactions and send the mixture into the tubes, some people suggest connecting a second empty bottle in the tube system (Fully sealed), so that incase of the mix over reacting the second bottle will catch any liquid.

Going along the lines that the goal here is to get gases(co2) let off by the reaction of yeast and sugar liquids in the bottle, to the tank, without the liquid mix also coming up the tubes, which is also the same setup you would have for an air(o2) system to get to the tank without liquid coming back to the electrical air pump.

My question here is, can I use a check valve in the place of a second bottle? Can this be done?? so that it will allow the co2 to pass through but not the liquid from the bottle that sometimes gets in the tubes.

A Check valve will only stop the liquid from flowing in one direction, and that would be from your tank and into the C02 mix, it would not stop the liquid from your C02 bottle getting into your tank.

You can make a cheap separator out of a small fizzy bottle.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... xygen.html

Forth post down, the little bottle attached to the yeast bottle.

Use a drill bit the same size as the internal diameter of the air hose and force the airlines into the bottle - you can try to seal it with silicon but it may not be necessary.

My question here is, can I use a check valve in the place of a second bottle? Can this be done?? so that it will allow the co2 to pass through but not the liquid from the bottle that sometimes gets in the tubes.

No, it's a one way valve, it's not a magical material sensing valve, it doesn't care what is going through it, only about direction.

Thanks for the comments, but I know what a check valve does in a normal air pump to tank setup.

I guess my question wasn't clear.

Can I reverse a check valve to stop the liquid from the co2 mix getting to the tank, if the water draws back from the tank to the co2 mix its no biggy, i just dont want the co2 mix going to the tank, but in doing the reverse check will the co2 gas still flow through the check valve.

I guess the technical question to this is does a check valve allow gas/air to pass through bidirectionally, but block liquid from one direction?

The idea of this is that I have limited space where my tank is, using a check valve if i can will be better than setting up a fail safe bottle.

P.S.

No, it's a one way valve, it's not a magical material sensing valve, it doesn't care what is going through it, only about direction.

Your Sarcasm is not needed.........thank you :lol:

A Check valve will only stop the liquid from flowing in one direction, and that would be from your tank and into the C02 mix, it would not stop the liquid from your C02 bottle getting into your tank.

You can make a cheap separator out of a small fizzy bottle.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... xygen.html

Forth post down, the little bottle attached to the yeast bottle.

Use a drill bit the same size as the internal diameter of the air hose and force the airlines into the bottle - you can try to seal it with silicon but it may not be necessary.

Thanks for the info Zev, if I have to I'll use the second bottle method :bow:

I might just go out and buy a check valve and see if this method will work for the sake of science LOL

Thanks for the comments, but I know what a check valve does in a normal air pump to tank setup.

I guess my question wasn't clear.

Can I reverse a check valve to stop the liquid from the co2 mix getting to the tank, if the water draws back from the tank to the co2 mix its no biggy, i just dont want the co2 mix going to the tank, but in doing the reverse check will the co2 gas still flow through the check valve.

I guess the technical question to this is does a check valve allow gas/air to pass through bidirectionally, but block liquid from one direction?

The idea of this is that I have limited space where my tank is, using a check valve if i can will be better than setting up a fail safe bottle.

P.S.

Your Sarcasm is not needed.........thank you :lol:

My guess is if it lets gas in backwards then it would let the fluid in too, so probably no, just blow into it backwards and see....

The check valve is a one way valve, if you put it around the other way no C02 will get into your tank.

The check valve will have to be a C02 proof one if you want to try it, the normal ones perish and fail after a short period of time because the C02 is corrosive.

I may have a small separator that is about 4 inches high if you want it.

I got one and tried it, its conclusive that although it stops the mix getting to the tank, it wont let the co2 through.....well actually it blocked up and the line filled with liquid.

Until I get the high tech stuff the failsafe bottle will have to do :o

Worth investigating, especially something so small and cheap that may have been successful in taking the stress out of having yeast sugar etc pump into the water.

It would have made the DIY co2 setup look a lil bit better. :lol:

What size is your bottle that you are using for the reactor?

I have a Nutrifin setup that you fill to within an inch of the top, it has never run fluid into the tank.

Perhaps you could try a slightly larger bottle and not fill it up so full?

Remember to put it below the tank it feeds into so that it does not syphon into the tank.

I also used to sit mine in a cardboard box with fluffy stuff to keep it warm over the winter - also stops it tipping over.

A check valve is a one way valve and the cheaper ones are usually only a flap valve. They are not usually very reliable as they can stay partly open with rubish stuck in them. They will not let gas through and retain liquids. What you need is a fluid trap as suggested.

What size is your bottle that you are using for the reactor?

I have a Nutrifin setup that you fill to within an inch of the top, it has never run fluid into the tank.

Perhaps you could try a slightly larger bottle and not fill it up so full?

Remember to put it below the tank it feeds into so that it does not syphon into the tank.

+1

I just fill the bottle to 3/4 full and situate it below the tank (next to the warm canister filter). Never, ever had anything close to fluid going up the tube into the tank but I do have a check valve to prevent water flowing from the tank into the bottle and thus preventing reverse overflow that way.

Im using a 1.25L bottle, i mixed and filled to where the bottle just starts narrowing, liquid wasn't erupting out, but i think it might be my mix. The foam reaction on top seemed to reach the lid and start going through the tubes. I just spent the last hour sorting out a separator. Everything is goin ok now I guess, about 2-3 bps coming out of the pipe. :o is that normal???

Suggestions on a good mix? Experiences with mixes and results in bps???

Ive only got a 14L tank, dont want too much co2 in the water

For the Nutrifin setup I think it is 1/2C Sugar, 1/2TSP yeast (use the Elfin or Edmonds sachets) water is probably about 1/2 Litre luke warm, disolve the sugar first then add the yeast in case it is too hot when you start.

There was a great link posted under this same topic a couple of months ago. It talked about the problems with using too much or too little sugar and regulating production with modifying ingredients. The search function brings up so many links it was a bit overwhelming...but it is there somewhere :roll:

Might be good to do a sticky on this topic (if there isn't one already :oops: ).

Hey all,

Co2 setup seems to be going well.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=44517

I followed Zev's advice (thanks 8) ) and added the gas separator, although this was a fail safe so gunk doesn't feed direct up the line to the tank, it also seconds as a bubble counter, if you drop the tube fed from the co2 generator to the bottom of the separator, add a bit of water, presto!! I found the co2 bubbling in the whole setup to be inconsistent in feed that comes out at the tank. So what I did was add a airline control valve, this does build up slight back pressure (only in the separator), but no where near enough to cause any explosions or problems. The bubbles are now consistent at 1bps :) and controlled by the valve to a certain pressure.

Here's my setup to help anyone doing the same thing

co2small.jpg

HTH anyone

:bow: