Nutrient defficiency symptoms?

Derek

I have an ozelot sword which has been sending up a flower stalk over the last week or so. This morning I noticed that that the flower at the tip of the stalk has opened submersed. This is about half way to the surface of a 600mm deep tank. Previously this plant has flowered at the surface.

Is this a symptom of a nutrient defficiency/excess or some other factor?

Hi Derek I think I would have to consider the time of year as being a contributing factor. I know with my plants the time of year does come into play more so than yours but I think it still applies.

You should consider tank temps are often cooler at this time than during the summer months when room temp alone holds temps up and above what we have them set at and also light entering the tank from any room lighting like windows.

I wouldn't worry about it at this stage provided all other growth is looking good many of the faster growing stem plants will show nutrient deficiency/excess faster.

But in saying this one of the first things Echinodorus sp do when being stressed after having ideal conditions for a while is that they will rapidly produce flower spikes in an effort to reproduce quickly before the mother plant dies.

It is a nice plant one I like myself keep up the good growing.