T5 lighting for a 36x18x18

andyjd

If your wanting to have a good planted tank the more lights the better, it's often a limiting factor for both plant growth and the types of plants you can keep.

Within reason. A 1000w MH over a 2ft tank is probably going to burn everything underneath it :o

Within reason. A 1000w MH over a 2ft tank is probably going to burn everything underneath it :o

I dunno...Peak solar insolation if I remember right at the equator at noon midsummer is about 3500 watts/square meter. So 1000 watts(Ignoring a mh isn't 100% efficient) would put you at about 2/3rd of that. So there's LOTS of room for improvement.:P

I dunno...Peak solar insolation if I remember right at the equator at noon midsummer is about 3500 watts/square meter. So 1000 watts(Ignoring a mh isn't 100% efficient) would put you at about 2/3rd of that. So there's LOTS of room for improvement.:P

Sounds like a challenge :wink:

I'm currently running an Arcadia tube and I like it alot. But have had mixed results with their fittings, the really old black boxes are good seem to go for ever but are only T8, but I have two newer T5 ballasts and they have both broken, thank fulling one was only loose wires so I got it up and running again. I haven't tried their "light hood" setups but seem to remeber reading a few posts with similar problems to mine with the ballasts.

The Glo units seem to be okay and a resonable price, they use 30 odd of them to run the tanks at The Pet Center in Porirua and have had no problems with them so far.

I have the same tank dimension as yours 36x18x18. I have the Hagen Glo T5HO 39x2 watts. For me, it is too much light if I don't have CO2. I have problems with algae. Now I have CO2.

If you want to go for 4 lights ( more than 2 watts per gallon ), you must have lots of plants, pressurized CO2, and not missed on your fertilising regime.