what's a good filter for planted tank?

Hobbit

Hi, I'm new to fnzas and fishkeeping, I live across the tasman. :o I've read so much regarding the keeping of fish my head hurts :evil:

Basically I don't want to blow the budget on a $4oo filter when I have contrary advice telling me a UGF will be okay. Then elsewhere saying it's no good for a planted tank...... I will be keeping rainbows (boesemani) some cories, clowns loaches once the tank is on its way (kuhli okay for a planted tank?) but havent covered the top of the tank yet any suggestions coz I love the bottom dwellers and rainbows haven't thought about the top of the tank ( I have no idea)??? But back to the point what should I use for filtration? A cannister? a hang on the side?? a sponge??? a ugf???? Have been a passive user for the past couple of weeks but realised my questions won't be answered unless I ask LOL Oh its a 250l tank :) Thanks also to Pegusas :roll: hehhehee

Would like to congratulate you all on a great forum

Regards Campbell

Personally I would go for a cannister or wet/dry filter.

Does depend a bit on what you define as a planted tank however. You could have a very nice tank with an undergravel filter and using plants attached to stones and/or driftwood. The various types of java fern ( normal, "tropica" and "windelov"), Bolbitis fern, and perhaps Anubias nana as well as java moss and riccia attached to some small stones in a "limited" area of the tank. On top of that you could pot a "few" plants and hide them behind the wood and rock.

Welcome to the fishroom Campbell :D

I have never had trouble with UGFs and have had well planted tanks despite many saying they are no good for plants. Make sure you have a good depth of gravel over them though.

My rainbows (boesemani, Mccullochii, melanistrus, blue dwarfs) swim all over the place.

Kuhlis are fine in a planted tank.

• 3 weeks later...

:evil: Sorry that I didn't thank you for the replies but t'was appreciated I became to caught up with reading yet again. There is a certain amount of knoweledge that we can alll absorb then it becomes goobledygook but thanks you comments did make a difference.... As an aside hehehe I'm a biker I wear leather hehe pick on me anytime; I'll run scared......

Hi Campbell,

If you use the plants Derek has suggested you shouldn't have too much trouble with the Clown Loaches. If you want to use stem plants, these will grow ok with an UGF but the loaches will probably bite them off near the roots. UGF is often no good with some crypts and echinodorus species (sword plants) as they get a large portion of their nutrients from the roots.