Planted tank conversion help/advice

DennisP

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No roots, it's a thallose liverwort.

alanmins-plant-01.jpg

Looks like this on the surface if the lighting is sufficient - turns into a bit of a nuisance when it grows like this, blocks out the light, breaks into heaps of bits and blocks the filter intake if it gets blown around the tank by the return.

I can send you some if you do not find any down your way.

Indian fern. Anyone got any good photos of it in a tank? If never seen it in a tank. Only whats on trademe... It looks like it can be quite tall and really bushy. Should i try some?

bright green plant in the front is indian fern.

its really nice

DSC03771Small.jpg

Heya, i was thinking about buying the same tank you have :D

What do you think of it? other than about the plants , is it easy to clean and how is the water quality?

My biggest concern was the lighting tho...

Would you be able to grow hair grass or glosso? or some of the other light demanding plant?

Oh ok, cool. Yea i saw the "high light 150%" sticker, but i wasnt sure what it meant. So its effectively the same as the HO ?

What ground covering plants can you grow in that tank?

Edit:

So your two 54Watt lights + reflectors ( keen for P44 idea)

216 watts total / 240L = 0.9 WPL

Is that right? But the tank isnt very deep, and the lights are T5, so it shouldn't really matter the WPL is? :S

:)

So your two 54Watt lights + reflectors ( keen for P44 idea)

Was in animates today, found a juwel reflector for $30. it was 1 size too small, but 1 size up should not be much more. thats pretty affordable if u ask me. $60-70 to double ur lights brightness. it should take u up to 4 Watts per gallon. if thats how it works. Mine has 108w for 55g.

Yea Dennis, that does make sense. But im on a tight budget lol, warehouse mirrors look good as gold to me lol.

4 watts per Gallon , with the HO-T5 lights would in theory make the tank able to grow anything very well....?

Im keen for hair grass and Glosso ! :D

I want to have a jungle :P

Cheers. Just what i was hoping for. =]

Yes, that is a nice plant. I will buy some when i next have the chance.

Ill send you a few Plantlets when I post the plants.

It doesnt travel that well, but you should be able to get some plants out of it by floating in tank for a week or so.

Simon

Just received some African fern off Bichon. :bow:

Looks great. anything i should really know about it?

ALSO!!

I would like to replace my vall. nana. I need a good background plant. preferable something that will fill the gaps nicely.

Any suggestions?

cheers. No idea what the orange discus are...

The babies are blue turqs. starting to show colour.

Red fujis have red eyes dont they? (which these dont) so that rules them out... im guess them marlboro ones or whatever they're called.

i think the hairgrass is starting to send out runners now. i see a few little hairs popping out 2 cms from the larger ones. =]