Marine tank

Ira

Since I didn't get any replies in the saltwater forum, I might as well copy and paste in here what I'm just now posting to another message board. My biggest question for here would be, Where the hell do I get anything for marine tanks?!?!

I'm trying to figure out about how much it would cost to turn my 30 gallon tank into a cheap beginner saltwater tank. I'm past the, "Wow, I want a saltwater tank" stage and into the, "How much is it going to cost and where do I start" stage. I'm having a hell of a time locating ANYTHING for saltwater tanks here in NZ. I've managed to find a website with the prices of some fish and corals, but nothing about live rock, live sand etc and I don't know where I'd find things like crushed coral for the substrate. There's one fish store within driving distance with any saltwater tanks at all, but their 2 saltwater tanks are dead looking and covered in algae.

I'm thinking I'd rather not spend more than about $300NZ setting it up. Here's the price list I'm looking at http://www.petworld.co.nz/petworld_fish_list_1-may.htm

What I have;

A 30ish gallon tank.

Fluval 404

30 watts of lighting

300 watt heater

What I'd like to put in it to begin with(definitely not firm) and cost;

Blue Devil-Chrysiptera cyanea X2 $25 each

Maroon clown-Premnas biaculeatus X1 $50

Live rock 5 kilos(If I can find any) About $50

Substrate About $30

misc bits(Sea salt, salt concentration measuring thingy etc) about $50

Now, the questions. What in addition to what I have would I need? How would what I'd like to put in the tank work out? Any other comments, suggestions?

[

Hi Ira,

If you email Jansens or Hollywood in Auckland they will hopefully send you some prices.

You say,

I'm thinking I'd rather not spend more than about $300NZ

Setting up with marines will cost you a great deal more than this.

Your corals, substrate, test kits, hydometer, live rock/corals are all pricy items, plus you may need a skimmer and ozone reactor and ultra violet sterilizer, unless you go the "Natural Method" which involves live corals and rocks containing marine worms and micro animals, along with bivalves with the correct type of planting which would create a natural filter.

The way many go is to use a very high powered undergravl filter which gives a high turnover. This must cover the entire floor of the tank.

It all looks pretty simple, and amazingly beautiful when set up correctly, but it cost big bucks.

In my dealings with marines, you get less warning of the dangers, and water conditions can change rapidly, resulting in many cases dead livestock.

Visiting you library and reading up all you can is my suggestion before you take the plunge.

Don't know if your existing filter would cope, but perhaps someone else can enlighten you.

Bill.

I'm guessing at the prices of the live rock, haven't been able to find any NZ prices. I'm just doubling the price of the cheapest prices I've read for live rock in the US, which is about $5US per kilo. Though, they go up to about $15 for really nice stuff. $300 is just a goal I kinda pulled out of thin air because it's a little over a weeks pay.:(

Also, I don't think I'd need a skimmer from what I've been reading, not on a lightly stocked tank and a little more frequent water changes. Same for the ozone and UV sterilizer. I also shouldn't need a calcium reactor or metal halide lighting since I'm not thinking of having corals.

Dennis, I'm actually looking at that site right now.:) Interesting, but doesn't seem to have anything as far as prices and supplies.

I've checked through their retailer lists too. There are only 2 with websites, neither really has anything on them. I guess I could just make up a little email saying, "I want a marine tank, how much are you selling what I need for?" and send it to all of them.

It's frustrating that my wife is going to christchurch monday where I know there are a couple places with pretty good saltwater inventories and I'm not going.:(

Grant and I are off to Christchurch soon too :D

Got a computer roadshow to attend - get lots of freebies at these things. Have to stock up on pens for next year's conference :lol:

One of our members has just set up a marine tank with help from Redwood Aquatics down there. She does not have internet access so I will give her a ring and get some prices for you. I am sure she has some live rock. She also has some clowns and an anemone.

My understanding (based on discussions with ex-importer) is that in NZ you wont be able to buy live rock by the pound or kilo - it's not allowed. The way they get around this is to have an identifiable organism (ie anenome, leather coral etc) on the rock (then they don't need to sterilise the rest of the rock and hence you get a chunk of live rock). Only thing with this system is that it's way more expensive for you to get the amount of live rock you want.

Ira I do not know if this is any use to you. I have four books (yes I am a bookaholic as well as a fishaholic) As tropicals are "my interest" not marine I am willing to sell these at realistic price.

1. The Saltwater Aquarium Manual - Robert J Valenti - in good condition apart from slightly torn paper cover.

2. Keeping Marine Fish - Graham Lundegaad - in new condition

3. The Marine Aquarium for the home aquarist - R F O Connell - in good condition.

4. Marinie invertebrates - u. erich friese - just cost of postage for this one for although it is all there,one page is loose

So if you want any of them just let me know.

Trying to raise funds for discus by draining my funds? That's selfish of you, you should give them to me for free! Hehehe.:)

I think I'll concentrate on the free methods of research for now, like message boards and websites.:)

Hi Ira,

I was talking to Shane Paul at "Goldfish Galore" (just outside of Hamilton) quite a few months back and he mentioned that he had live rock available. I'm not sure if he still does as he isn't open very often any more, but he may be someone to try and get hold of; the number is 07 824 7797

Hey Ira having kept marines for a while now myself you`re lucky that you have the tank although I`d be careful with that fluval it may not be strong enough.You`ll need the following to get things started

Sand or crushed rock $5-$10 per kg

Rock (dead) $10-$25 per kg (live)$35-$45 kg

Salt $25-$35 per 4kgs you can either get synthetic or natural.

If you have a double lighthood already you will need a blue tube and an actinic.Something like a Blue moon and an Aurora 50/50 should suffice.

Test kits:p.H,Nitrite,Nitrate & Ammonia you really want the marine dedicated ones and not the marine/trop and will cost anything from$8-$15.Those are really just the basics but let us know how you get on