February 18, 201016 yr Author comment_356466 oh really? Try the link on the auction, it sends a page of the benefits of LED lighting, http://www.mainlyelectronics.co.nz/ledblue.htm " You can just use all blue led's at start for straight vegetative growth and Start adding reds when you want to start flowering or budding " I had also read from : http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2009/10/led ... art-2.html " LEDs can produce exactly the wavelength of light needed by plants. There are very specific wavelenghts that plants use for photosynthesis, and if you didn't care much about how the planted tank looked to the human eye, you could buy LEDs that only emitted these wavelenghts. " Report
February 24, 201016 yr comment_357349 He's full of it. A LED lighting system that'll work well for plants will use proper high output LEDs like these ones or these ones Those 10mm LEDs he's using won't be good for anything. Report
March 3, 201016 yr Author comment_358562 So i have been out, and Hutt pets has the fixture for $160 Report
March 3, 201016 yr Author comment_358676 What kind of fixture? 2. Buy http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/product_detail.php?id=1910 So i should end up with like 108 Watts of HO T5 lighting with reflectors hopefully doubling the lighting Report
March 3, 201016 yr comment_358678 So i have been out, and Hutt pets has the fixture for $160 for a 4ft fixture? that is cheeeeaaappp!!! Report
March 3, 201016 yr Author comment_358693 YEa i know right! its the 54W one I was expecting quite a bit more Report
March 3, 201016 yr comment_358763 Can you explain to me how you're going to put 54w T5HO tubes, which are 122cm in length over your 70cm length tank? Report
March 4, 201016 yr Author comment_358867 urmmm 4 foot light? I assumed that i could just buy a 54W light for the size of my tank lol I guess i was wrong Report
March 4, 201016 yr comment_358873 LOL no. the 4ft ones are 54w x2 tubes HO 2ft ones are 24W x2 HO 3ft ones are 36W X2 HO Report
March 4, 201016 yr Author comment_358939 hahahaha thats ma bad Ok so i would go for the 24Watts one? Report
March 5, 201016 yr Author comment_359259 Ok guys, so i am off today to buy stuff $128 for the fixture to fix the size of my tank lol Apparently its $50 a bulb , for HO T5 lighting, im looking for 18k and 10k? and if my budget doesnt reach 6500K? and i will also get some plants Report
March 6, 201016 yr Author comment_359397 haha your on to it Im thinking about buying a Rio 240... !!!! Report
March 31, 201016 yr comment_364140 Hey Aqua, Did you end up buying the Hagen remote ballast? I'm interested in getting one of these.. primarily they seem the easiest way of being able to install in an existing hood. Be keen to hear how you got on with it. Cheers, Stephen Report
April 1, 201016 yr Author comment_364234 Heya Stephan I did end up getting one. I got the 24W T5 HO system, it cost me $128 from hutt pets. Report
April 1, 201016 yr comment_364245 Great stuff. Did you install it into your existing hood? How does it all go together? I'm looking at getting one to install in a hood which doesn't have any lighting currently. Do the end caps for the tube get installed into the hood, or do the reflectors/clips hold the tubes in place and the end caps just screw on to the tubes? How did you position the ballast unit? Does it get very hot? Report
April 2, 201016 yr Author comment_364263 Holy cow! lol Idk, it is still in the box, i need to buy some tubes for it first do u have the same tank as me? Report
April 2, 201016 yr comment_364286 Nope.. bought a random tank and stand off trademe... it also had a hood. The hood had a dodgy 60cm light fixture in it.. but if I plug it in it blows fuses so I've thrown that out. So yeah.. I've been looking at the hagen as an option to replace it with. Also looked at the arcadia I-bar.. which look quite good for installation into an existing hood... HFF show them on their website: http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/prod ... 5_fittings - not sure how much they go for though... but it's another option. I couldn't find them on the arcadia website though (except for an old development version of their site I managed to find) so I'm thinking they might be discontinued? Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.