after a opinion

ralliart314

you can keep them all together though it will depend on individual fishes agression levels

but if you want to guarantee breeding purebred fish you are better doing them in a species only set up

some of the african females are hard to tell apart so once they are mixed it is hard to ensure matching up the right pairs for breeding later

a tank of mixed africans is always busy

this is a nice tank

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=44066

mine have been together since they were little,lady i got them off has had lots of fry from the electric yellows,she supplied petshops in chch with them,they all seem to be good,i mix the caves up every so often to keep aggression down,the kenyis are like 3cm where as my big zebra is bout 10cm he not even interested in them

Did I read you correctly in saying that you will keep yellow pair? Is that a separate pair to the other yellows? If adding in, just be careful of size differance.

There is a chance of cross breeding of the species mentioned above by others.

Depends on if you want to take the risk or not.

Frenchy :)

the ones im saying are powder blues are Pseudotropheus socolofi or Pseudotropheus pindani have had 2 lots from my females and got another one holding eggs at the moment,they look exactly like their mum and dad,the yellows are from wild parents so very rich in yellow,they have bred with these fish in the tank before,are all females are stripped and babys raised in their own tank to give mother fish a break and to get her condition back up

lady supplied petshops,will try get a picture of the male ae,his black and yellow is awesome,her son gave them to her with paperwork saying who the importer was and date came in,so was quite rapt when i brought them for $47 got 4 fish,and heaps of free food and magnet cleaner,so pretty good valentines present from the gf i thought

It would be very interesting to see photos of these fish, wild or F1 yellows are supposed to be quite rare internationally probably what I would call nigh on impossible to see in NZ.. Of course it doesn't mean it can't happen :)

My advice for you is if you want to breed from these fish then keep them in a species tank or if you have to mix them then mix fish from different groups, ie peacocks and mbuna to reduce the chances of cross breeding. The fish you have listed can and will all cross breed, the biggest risks being red zeb x yellow (very hard to tell from looking at the offspring) and your powder blues and red zebras. But if you just want to enjoy your fish keep them all together see what pops up and maybe give them away if things get too busy for you as you can't really guarantee their parentage. Maybe the "some weird ones" is a result of crossbreeding or the ones that didn't throw the same way as the others?

Another thing to consider is did you buy any of these fish with scientiffic names (I can assume not when you started trying to match your powder blues to 2 different names) or just the common names you have quoted? Alot of people do sell fish with random names such as red zebra (for anything orange could be hybrid or anything else), powder blues (anything blue with black markings on fins). Having proper names assigned to random fish is very common with zebras generally I won't touch them from people unless I know they know what they are doing or they are fresh imports with proper names from a reputable importer.

gota work out how to use the photobucket thing first to get the pictures up,got some nice ones of the male e yellow with his female in his cave,one pwder blue female is holding eggs,so thats all 3 powder blues this month,i am intending on selling on or trading the peacocks and zebras,to just focus on my e yellows and powder blues

the lady got them all from her son in christchurch,who is a private local fish breeder of alot of cichlid species,i got given a clearfile with documentation about the yellows,saying where they were imported from and who imported them and so forth,so i presume they are all ok,as they are maf paperwork,

Yeah I'm with Ryan.

It's obvious how enthusiastic you are and that is great but you seem to be running like a freight train with the plans and claims etc.

I like Ryan hope you have stumbled on F1 E yellows. These fish would be extremely rare not just in NZ but worldwide.

Did they come from the Caravan, Magpie Lady?. Does the importation document ID them as F1 stock?

If you got them for $47 plus extras then you have probably used up all your valentines day pressies all in one go.

Those fish need their own tank if they are as claimed.

The powder blues - what were they sold to you as? or have you ID'd yourself and we did the ID come from.

I am worried that you seem so sure that all three spawns you have at the moment are pure strains considering the environment they've been bred in.

As you can see the importance of the E yellows been pure particularly such rare ones as you've got then it is as important to be 100% positive the blues didn't breed with something else.

You mentioned peacocks in a post also, in that they aren't going to be bred from. How are they with those tankmates.

What variety(s) have you got.

everyone has said to watch the zebras,when i brought the fish i had no intention of keeping the zebras,i wanted all mbuna cichlids,so am willing to pass on the zebras to fellow fish keepers,the yellow breeding pair are in a tank of their own atm,never put them in the big tank till the zebras are gone,

You do know that zebras are mbuna don't you?

I am just saying that your powder blues may not be so pure if you have got a mixed bag.. End of the day it doesn't really matter provided you don't assign them a proper name you are unsure of, if I as you I would probably just pass them on as assorted zebras..

I would love to see this documentation that came with the yellows..

as firenzenz and ryan have said if documentation stacks up you have some rare fish

and keeping track of them and their breeding will be bonus to e. yellow stock in the country

my fingers are crossed for you

thanks for your comments, i am still learning new things everyday

and like others on here try to do the best for my fish with the knowledge i have