Diy overflow

R32GOTMLK

hey guys i need to make a overflow for my undrilled tank a siphon overflow?

has anyone used this type of overflow?

i need a good design that will flow bout 4 L a min if need be

this overflow is purely there as an fail safe if the tank overflows for some reason as i have installed an auto water changer

Thanks guys 8)

Matt

to use as an emergency overflow the pipe level in the tank should be just above your normal tank level

the height of the pipe draining from the box outside the tank should be level with the normal level inside the tank

the "U" shaped pipe must be full of water to allow syphon to start

i made this one the other day http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects/di ... ow/120.asp

to connect 2 30l tanks ,works well, silent and can flow a decent amount just using 3/4" pipe

for your project use bigger diameter pipe like living arts one

i also put a modified plastic air filter box in the corner to use as a surface skimmer and to make the water level higher in the tank

timmmmm015.jpg

timmmmm012.jpg

timmmmm009.jpg

the return pump is a fluval 104 and there is a pump with a venturi in the top tank the venturi effect gets the syphon started here and prevented bubbles forming in the top of the syphon the other white tube that goes over the top edge of the tank(not the inlet) is only put like that to hang the syphon on the tank its necessary to have the tube for this type to work however it doesnt have to be bent over the edge of the tank like that

im quite suprised at how well it works i think i will be making thse for any future tanks i get

thanks living art i threw this together after breaking the 100l tank i had sitting on top im almost tempted to diy a small marine tank here instead

its 3/4" pipe i think its used for electric conduit as well as some plumbing applications you can get it at bunnings and the like im sure it would be good for 1000ph but i would go to a bigger size pipe if your going to flow much more than 800lph just to be on the safe side one small blockage could reduce the flow enough to spill it at that level

• 3 months later...