MDF Aquarium Stand

SamH

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the short answer is yes...

...but it would depend on the design of the stand and how well braced it is. A 54L tank would weigh around 50-70kg, I think? (once it is filled with gravel, water etc) and 18mm MDF is reasonably thick, but I'm pretty sure it would have to be braced to keep it stable and prevent the top bowing.

Also, how are you planning to coat the MDF? Remember MDF and water don't mix (it swells and splits if it gets wet)

If you search on here for stands, people obviously use MDF for bigger tanks than yours, so yes, it can be done!

yes, all modern all in one tank stands are made with MDF. Just paint with good quality acrylic paint and you get plenty of hassle free enjoyment out of it.

Use aliphatic glue and1 1/2" or even 2" screws (always use pilot hole into end grain MDF) use a solid back to ensure the stand doesn't slew sideways'

I made a coffee table type design, that worked very well, let me know and I'll send you a rough plan if you're interested, though it's max height would be only 600mm.

Thanks nzcookie and Carlos & Siran, very helpful :hail:

Use aliphatic glue and1 1/2" or even 2" screws (always use pilot hole into end grain MDF)

Do the guide holes need to be the same size or slightly smaller than the screws?

Thanks!

Hi SamH - ive made both my stands out of 18mm mdf - so one for your 54L should be sweet as - mine are holding over 230KG for the biggest tank and over 150KG for the smaller tank so mdf can deffinately handle it.

i use square the drive screws that are about 40 to 45 mm on and the builders glue that they use to holding sheets of wood / mdf / ply to floors / walls / ceilings etc - cant remember the name of it but its light brown in color. because of the size of stands i have a center brace that helps to distribute the weight - every joint has glue and an excessive amount of screws to hold it all together - better to have overkill in my opionion that to not use enough.

if you have any questions feel free to ask :) by no means am i an expert but i will be building a 3rd stand shortly

Here's what I'm thinking.

1. Drill guide hole on the face of the board that lines up with the end of another board

2. Do as many as needed for those two pieces

3. Assemble with screws

That sound about right?

I have some 75mm screws (sorry I'm no good with inches :oops: ) and the jar says 8x3 CSK? I'm guessing 50mm (2"?) screws would be better? So the guide hole needs to be the same diameter as the screw?

Sorry about all the questions, just need to get it right.

@ oO SKIPPY Oo, what glue do you use? Do you make guide holes? Do you use just MDF or do you use solid timber too?

Thanks!

i use a small amount of wood - basically a small rectangular frame at the top and bottom of the stand - the glue i use is similar to gorilla glue - http://www.holdfast.co.nz/pages/product_details.aspx?pid=20075&cat=8&psid=20075

the top of the stand that the tank is on sits ontop of the vertical boards and then yeah i drill and screw - i tend to use a 2 or 2.5 mm pilot drill but i a

if you want some pictures just let me know

Think he's talking about No more nails, or liquid nails? you'll need a corking gun. 75mm is 3 inches, insure you drill at least 50mm into the end grain, and 75mm away from each end or it'll split once again. Screw about 200mm apart(that's heaps) counter sink screw heads and over fill with filler(builders bog, DAP) then when dry sand flush (you may need to fill twice) or use screw caps and paint them.

if your using liquid nails etc you dont need to wait (i have read that if you glue and then put the 2 bits of wood together then remove and allow to cure for 10 - 15 mins then put back together it will be a stronger bond) but your stand will only have about 60KG on it so it should be ok.

i just glue, drill, and screw in one hit. once you start screwing it all together the stand becomes pretty strong - ive had my biggest setup for about 4 months with no issues, and the 128L has been setup for about 9 months with no issues

Sam, if your stuck, ill be happy to help. I have the tools, so just bring wood and materials, and a plan.

Might have to take you up on that offer if Bunnings can't cut the wood 8) I have a power drill so I'm sorted for tools and I can work SketchUp pretty well. Thanks.

They do cut MDF to size right? If so, how accurate?

I'm also planning a desk too, would be a good practice before a fish tank stand.

• 2 weeks later...

Desk is done. Only took most of the afternoon and up until now :oops: Pretty good seeing as I only got up at 11am 8)

It's not as stable as I'd imagined, Bunnings did $1 per cut and the guy who did it was great, he even understood my plan! :o My pilot holes weren't straight either but it works so I'm stoked. Also, didn't take into account the skirting board so I can't quite slide it fully in, literally mm's in it :(

Can't wait to do a tank stand now :D