is this a rotkeil severum ?

oO SKIPPY Oo

dunno if i should take offence to that or not :D hehe - but the coloring of the fish in the photo is pretty much how it looks in person maybe slightly darker (im experimenting with / learning my new camera) - before i got her she would hide ALL the time i.e. you walk in the room and she would hide, go near the tank and she would hide, she use to be in a 200 + L tank all by herself and i think thats why she would hide all the time - when i got her i put it in quarantine for 3 weeks in a 40L cause thats all i had and it still tried to hide behind the filter - stupid fish - now that she is in my 200L with other severums etc its out front all the time and could be the boss of the tank so i assume its a happy fish now....

so you reckon it could be a rotkeil - anyone else got an opinion on it ?

certainly not a "standard green", looks like a female rotkeil with pale colouration. Could be a hybrid from Phil Collis, or could just be an unhappy fish or lousy photo?

i will have to get a picture of them, they aren't green but also aren't red like the rotkeil so i will have to get someone to ID them.

But i do like yours there, it's very nice i love it's big eye - yours looks like it may have golden in it?

Could well be a "rotkeil" then, although what exactly constitutes one I'm not sure. Many in the trade [overseas] have questionable lineage, possibly hybridised somewhere along the line, and rotkeil isn't a valid species, just a handle given to a group of fish collected from a particular location in south america. Simply translated it mean 'red shoulder'.

Rotkeil are a german strain..Actually there is only a green and all the rest are just like Discus and line breed...None of mine are old enough to see red but no sign of golden male in them..

Simple Males Have snake skin marking all over the face..

Was easier to actually ask me....Phill

Phil - there is a very very slight amount of snakeskin pattern around the gill plate but its very faint and hard to see so going by the colors on my fish would you say male or female ? and would it be safe to assume its a rotkeil ? neither of my 2 green severums have this coloring around the shoulder or face.

Rotkeil are a german strain..Actually there is only a green and all the rest are just like Discus and line breed...None of mine are old enough to see red but no sign of golden male in them..

Simple Males Have snake skin marking all over the face..

Was easier to actually ask me....Phill

i "rescued" this fish so i dont know how old it is really - one of my others is slightly smaller than this one and is over a year old so i would say maybe 2 years ?

I have a male Skippy and its same colour as Bulldogs. I noticed the colour got redder as the fish got older. approx - 1 year now. How old is yours? cool looking fish.

There are four described species of the genus Heros, H. efasciatus, H. notatus, H. severus, and H. spurius. Given the wide distribution of the genus there are also many other fish that are yet to be described which could be new species, subspecies or just regional variants. Rotkeil/redheads are a wild variety from around Iquitos, Peru. Rotkeil is German for Red Shoulder. The name Heros Sp. 'Rotkeil' tells us that they are a member of the genus Heros but are yet to be classified so have been given the handle Rotkeil in the mean time, rather than a collection number or locality. The current thinking is that they are a subspecies or regional variant of H. efasciatus, although they have not yet been classified so they may yet be made a new species.

The red/super red severums are a selectively bred line of the gold, which AFAIK is also a selectively bred line. Unfortunately people seem to have a habit of undoing selective breeding, be it mans or natures, by crossing different strains together even when the outcome is obviously going to be inferior to either of the parents.

Here is an interesting article on the genus, and it shows why it is important for hobbyists to learn Latin names and correctly identify their fish, especially those who are breeding them. As the author mentions, fish of the genus Heros have been bred in captivity in Germany for close to a hundred years. Most of the fish we see here (probably the only exception being the rotkeils) are most likely hybrids of H. efasciatus. The true H. severus is a much more attractive fish and is actually a mouth brooder!

Skippy I'd be pretty confident in saying yours is a female based on the colouration of my two breeding pairs of Rotkeil.

And on the subject of severums, check out this thread with pics of the true Heros severus; link. They're beautiful fish, and their mouthbrooding behaviour would be interesting to watch. I've suggested Hollywood try track some down from their German supplier, would anyone else be interested in them??

thats good to know - im sure i have a couple of males in there as well so maybe when they grow up they might pair up - but then if they do i dont know if i want the agro when breeding.

those 2 sevs you linked too have awesome colors - if i had a bigger tank i would look at getting more - but thats not in the budget and the wife is putting a stop to my MTS :-?