Water Changes

Billaney

Hi Everyone

I'm new so this might be a silly question but, Do i need to do a water change , its a new 55 gallon tank just cycleing with 3 peral Gouramis in it.

All the things i have read says do a water change weekly but i've just tested the water and everything tests good.

PH = 7.4 ( consistant)

Ammonia = 0ppm

Nitrate = 0ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

should i just leave it for now ?

Regular small water changes are very important as they provide a stable enviroment for the fish. This might be every week, two weeks or once a month. Smaller or heavily stocked tanks would be done often as their conditions change more rapidly.

Make sure you wash filter parts out in water from the tank and not under the tap.

The only thing that will kill the bacteria is if you use extremely hot or cold water or the tap water is heavily chlorinated. Most city water around the country is only lightly chlorinated. It won't make much of a dent.

Now, go to someplace like Los Angeles where the water is chlorinated enough that even having your filter near a running tap will kill the whole filter...

• 1 month later...
Now, go to someplace like Los Angeles where the water is chlorinated enough that even having your filter near a running tap will kill the whole filter...

I believe it! If you couldn't tell from my accent, I'm American, and upon returning to California after living here for a number of years, I was shocked by the tap water. It literally smells of pool-water to my nose. So much chlorine! Bit gross really. We've got it good here!

I confess to always cleaning my filters under the tap, even though we are told not to. I make sure the water is running at a similar temperature to the tank. Never had a problem. We don't have chlorine in our artesian water supply.

I do about a 30l (approx 15%) change every week. Which means with evaporation I usually add 35-40l . About once a month I only take out 15l (1 bucket full) and give all the parts in the filter a wash under the cold tap. Giving the coarse layers a good blast, and the finer layers just a bit of a rinse :o

My "theory" is that so long as you dont kill ALL the bacteria by doing a major water change AND cleaning the filter at the same time. There is enough bacteria floating about & living in the gravel, to recolonize what ever you clean.