Buying direct from Marine Importers

RnB

Have you ever purchased direct from a marine fish/coral importer  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever purchased direct from a marine fish/coral importer

• Yes
    • No

Once I have my MAF system up and running I am sure that I will have some corals / fish that I will want to move on to offset hoby costs.

Would you/have you brought fish/corals off an importer?

how do you feel about the wholesaler bypassing the LFS in your area?

I am sure that the shops do not buy everything the importer imports... what does happen to the rest........

cheers Peter

I am not sure that would add much value, we all have in our profiles (or know) where we live so it would probably be pretty obvious.

I am just trying to guage how many people are buying direct. As I will be quite small scale, it may not be worth the shops time dealing with me. I am sure they are after reliable, constant supplies.

I am aiming to be a little bit more niche... fill my own tank and pass on the rest to cover costs, meet hobbists, learn more etc. I plan to list what is available before I import to see if anyone wants anything on the list..... etc etc

Being small will allow me to be a little more agile, but i have to know how many people would deal direct with a hobbist importing.

Yes they do. Many people have

Sounds like its quite a common practice so far, this ties in well with my own experience and others I have spoken to in Auckland. Must be a bit of an underground practice though, as its not mentioned much on these boards.....

Not underground at all. Petworld have a list on their website for this reason. Pies has also discussed his stock purchases from both petworld and redwood on this board. They are retailers, but they'll also sell as much of their shipments wholesale as they can. I don't blame them either.

Layton

wouldnt bother me as i only get the fish in for people if they ask and sell them out of the box... a bit cheeper than other shops because i dont hold them .

but watch the big boys they dont like anyone playing with there toys.... if you know what i mean

Our LFS gets redwoods marine imports and they are very good.Fish and corals are the best i have seen in a long time.The price is good to even with the extra freight charge for the long trip.Had some get stuck on the desert road once for 2 days in a snow storm :( The only thing that survived was 1 anenome.

what is the best LFS in your area.... sorry I ment who stocks marines in the central north island... stoped in at wet pets in palmy north but nothing to note..... anything else central? whats the shop near tirau called? anyone in tauraga sell them?

whats hamilton shop caled?