RedSea Max 130. Thoughts?

Brennos

I've been doing a lot of research on the RSM tanks.

Apparently the reason they have such a bad reputation is because the first iteration of tanks (the smaller ones) had skimmers that didn't work well. However this issue has apparently been addressed in the 65 gallon version (RSM 250, the ones at HFF that cost $3799). The lighting also seems to be quite adequate, 6 x 39W T5s with a total of 234 watts of lighting.

The verdict now from many sites (nano-reef / reef central) is that it's a fairly good setup, but still a bit pricey, but ideal for a first timer. You can keep a lot of stuff in there (a lot of hard / soft corals), but the lighting might not be entirely sufficient for things such as anemones or clams. A lot of people have chosen to add their own DIY sumps made out of plastic containers etc with aftermarket skimmers in them.

i think they are a good setup for a starter. The only down fall is the replacement of the parts - fans nearly always go by the 1 year warranty at $70 for genuine ones or $30 for another brand that fits. powerheads are $80 each. Bulbs are $70 each. But all this comes with any setup if it fails.

I have had mine for 2 years and loving it. I have hard corals (if you put them near the top), soft corals and i have a firefish, shrimp, and a longnose butterfly.

I have replaced the skimmer. a definate if you want to keep more than 2 clowns (or small fish) imo. but this can be done later down the track though

Another item people do is an extra powerhead as they do not have enough flow.

Lots to think about.

I dont know if you have seen but there are 2 other tanks out there that are the same as a rsm. i haven't heard much on them but maybe do some research.

I have had a 4 footer and enjoyed that so much but then due to house space i down graded to the rsm. must say i am enjoying the rsm way more.

hope all that babble helps

if you want a 4 footer definately spend the money and get one otherwise you will say "i wish i got the 4 footer" when you see the fish you really want and it can't fit in your rsm 130.

Hollywoods are great and will help you lots.

Modifying the tank you have is possible but will be fiddly and only an inbetween measure. imo

After experience... definately get as bigger sump as possible and get it plumbed properly. it will save noise, overflows onto your carpet and hide all equipment.

once you have a talk to hollywoods chuck your thoughts on here and i'm sure we can all help!

If you wanted to get started with some interesting stuff before you have all the gear you need, you could buy a pile of dead rock and start cycling it, or even cooking it (google cooking live rock). After a few weeks cycling you can add some a little live rock from another tank and then you get to watch all the critters and life start to take off. If you have some old fluro lights you can put over the tank you should start to get some Coraline algae started.

The longer you can cycle the rock and get other life established the better of you will be once you are ready to go with your other gear.

If you wanted to get started with some interesting stuff before you have all the gear you need, you could buy a pile of dead rock and start cycling it, or even cooking it (google cooking live rock). After a few weeks cycling you can add some a little live rock from another tank and then you get to watch all the critters and life start to take off. If you have some old fluro lights you can put over the tank you should start to get some Coraline algae started.

The longer you can cycle the rock and get other life established the better of you will be once you are ready to go with your other gear.

Brilliant thanks, I assume this needs to be done in the tank you intend to use for the marine? I am just about to start reading on rock cycling, and cooking live rock, thanks for the pointer.

Yep sure does, minimum time for dead rock is about 4-6 weeks, ideally a bit longer. There is also a far longer cycling period of 9 months to a year for the anaerobic bacteria deep the in rock to get going properly, during this time you will get a bunch of different algae stages. The more time and care you give your rock before you start adding fish and corals, the less painful the long algae cycle is

Water, and ideally a pump to give some water flow. Oh and heater is helpful particularly once you add some live rock to seed the rest.

Any other equipment can be used if you have it but is pretty optional, it's not uncommon to cycle rock in tubs or rubbish bins

• 3 weeks later...