Hey

milkchops

and I suppose I should be asking Ron, but does he have any golden/yellow sunrise, or mostly blue/red strains? I feel I'm kinda in the same boat as floater, but to a lesser extent. I used to live near Wonderworld, but that was back when they were based at Kuirau Park, then on Paradise Valley Road. I got my original discus through them. They seem to be quite knowledgable, and if I'm desperate to get golden sunrise I might have to use a LFS.

Price is kind of a consideration, so I might have to stick to the slightly smaller cannisters, and certainly not the fancy ones with built in heaters or UV probably. What is the UV for btw, does it help break down nitrites or is it purely for microbial purposes?

and I suppose I should be asking Ron, but does he have any golden/yellow sunrise, or mostly blue/red strains? I feel I'm kinda in the same boat as floater, but to a lesser extent. I used to live near Wonderworld, but that was back when they were based at Kuirau Park, then on Paradise Valley Road. I got my original discus through them. They seem to be quite knowledgable, and if I'm desperate to get golden sunrise I might have to use a LFS.

Price is kind of a consideration, so I might have to stick to the slightly smaller cannisters, and certainly not the fancy ones with built in heaters or UV probably. What is the UV for btw, does it help break down nitrites or is it purely for microbial purposes?

I'm pretty sure I've seen a few posts around that Ron has said he hasn't bred any discus in awhile. I run a small UV internal filter in my tank from what I understand it's purely for microbial purposes and prevents algae blooms. I kinda just threw mine in the tank not fully understanding what it did, but I think I have the right idea.

**EDIT** Just had a quick look at the Eheim website and Eheim recommends probably a 2073 for your size tank, thats the pro3 series.

http://www.eheimasiapacific.com/prod_e_ ... _pro3.html have a quick browse.

I like the idea of having a planted tank, but I don't know if I will like the maintenance on top of trying to keep the discus happy. I have done some reading about CO2 diffusers, light setups etc for growing plants properly, but with the temps required and the extra work, I don't know if I'll go down that path yet.

I will probably try a small planted community aquarium before I try it with discus. I'm only worried that my tank is going to look pretty barren for months while I wait for the discus (either to be born in the first place or to grow), the driftwood I have will easily span the length of the aquarium, but it will only come up about 15cm from the gravel, this tank has a water level around 50cm.

I'll have to experiment a little to start with, and I will definitely start posting pictures as soon as possible for you guys to critique :D

just saw your edit, and another consideration RE the filter came to mind... the tank water level of the tank is probably about 1.4 metres from the ground, the smaller Eheims could barely pump to that head height probably. Perhaps I will have to fork out for a bigger one :-?

**edit** any problems with using the Classic Eheims? They don't look as flash, and you have to prime them, but otherwise they seem to do the same job as the professional series?

I like the idea of having a planted tank, but I don't know if I will like the maintenance on top of trying to keep the discus happy. I have done some reading about CO2 diffusers, light setups etc for growing plants properly, but with the temps required and the extra work, I don't know if I'll go down that path yet.

I will probably try a small planted community aquarium before I try it with discus. I'm only worried that my tank is going to look pretty barren for months while I wait for the discus (either to be born in the first place or to grow), the driftwood I have will easily span the length of the aquarium, but it will only come up about 15cm from the gravel, this tank has a water level around 50cm.

I'll have to experiment a little to start with, and I will definitely start posting pictures as soon as possible for you guys to critique :D

just saw your edit, and another consideration RE the filter came to mind... the tank water level of the tank is probably about 1.4 metres from the ground, the smaller Eheims could barely pump to that head height probably. Perhaps I will have to fork out for a bigger one :-?

**edit** any problems with using the Classic Eheims? They don't look as flash, and you have to prime them, but otherwise they seem to do the same job as the professional series?

I haven't really had a planted tank before (my 60L had 1 species of plant that grew like a weed) I'm kinda flying by the seat of my pants on this one. A month after planting they seem to be growing well. Plant experts here that spring to mind are pheonix44, alan..., and supasi they know their stuff.

Regarding the Eheim classics, I'm pretty sure my old mans one that is 20+ years old is a 2213. So I'd definitely say there is nothing wrong with them :P

sweet we only very seldom get aquarium supplies at work, so it will be a good 3 weeks before I can get a new cannister at a decent price. I'll probably get a 2217, overkill it, and then if the fluval dies ive got a filter that can easily handle the tank on its own anyway.

I don't even know the people on the forums but before I registered I was checking this forum daily lol. Already have a lot of respect for the guys you have mentioned, they seem to really know their stuff.

sweet we only very seldom get aquarium supplies at work, so it will be a good 3 weeks before I can get a new cannister at a decent price. I'll probably get a 2217, overkill it, and then if the fluval dies ive got a filter that can easily handle the tank on its own anyway.

Sounds good. You can always direct the flow into the side of the aquarium or something if the current is too much. Don't think that will be an issue though. I have my 2078 going nearly flat out and the two blue rams and neons in my tank love the current. It's also angled slightly up (below the surface of the water) to increase surface agitation and I guess this reduces the current as opposed to it shooting straight out across the tank.

You can't beat Eheims but they are pricey. If funds are a concern the Fluval 05 series are also very good, I run several of them (can't afford eheims for all my tanks) and they work great. You would be fine adding a Fluval 405 to the setup you already have. Adding some Eheim Pro substrate to the canisters is also a good idea.

Plants are beneficial not only will they provide shelter to reduce stress on the fish, but they will also help remove nitrates. If you don't have plants to soak up nutrients, simpler plant life (algae) can begin to thrive. On the other hand, the frequent water changes required with discus will affect the way you deliver nutrients/fertalisers to the plants...always the balance. There are plenty of low maintenance plants that would be suitable.

Oh, and the UV filter is helpful for removing microorganisms and floating algae but the intensity of the light is a critical factor for success. Many report that it keeps the water clear. I personally don't like to kill of bacteria unless I really have to but a UV filter can be helpful against some parasites.

Are you going to post in the "where did your user name come from" thread? :lol:

As a side note, I once picked up some discus in Palmy, had them bagged and in a poly box in the car as we travelled south, over on the ferry, floated overnight at my place, then continued on their journey to Christchurch - with no problems whatsoever. If they are bagged correctly they actually travel quite well.

thanks for the replies, yeah I think I will go for an Eheim, I can get them at a really good price and I don't mind forking out for quality. As for the name, I donno, just something random that I came up with to replace an old username, which was Monsupial incedentally - pretty random.