Breeding Discus - what do I realistically need?

Dave+Amy

So my female leopard snakeskin has paired off with my male Alenquer (the female has the fatter/bigger/wider breeding tube right?), they'e laid once but I noticed it too late while doing a waterchange... :-? half eggs were dried from water being drained and they ate the rest.

How many tanks would I realistically need to breed and raise young Discus?

And if I don't want to breed them, would they get more aggressive in my community tank? Do I need to separate the pair?

Thanks

If you do want to breed them you will need a 2x1x1 tank (slightly wider and higher is better if your discus are larger and im sure yours are).

They should take care of most of the young in there, but after the initial stages when you can separate the parents from the babies (few weeks), you'll need a larger tank to grow out the babies in - 4ft or so.

I have a spare 80cm L x 90cm h x 50cm w tank, but that's not going to be big enough to grow the juvies out, will it?

I'm stuck in a situation - I don't want to sell my adults since they're among my favs in the tank, but worried that they'll pick on others more as they want to breed, there's really no way to stop them from wanting to breed is there?

I would just breed them in that tank you have spare and then remove the parents when the fry are big enough with enough water changes that tank should be fine..

They will just keep on breeding as long as they are happy :( But is everyone getting along ok so far? I am sure plenty of people with discus community tanks have pairs in there with problems..

I'm so glad you asked this question because I was recently thinking about investing in a pair....but didn't know how much room a batch of fry would need to grow out in until they were salable.

My tank is probably not large enough to comfortably fit more than 3-4 discus so I was wondering if I got a pair would they be able to be kept with relative success in a community tank if say the other fish where just some quiet glass cats, couple BNS, cories, and danios. Would the pair be constantly trying to lay eggs and raise fry and getting stressed with the other fish? Or would they just sorta do their own thing...and I could raise 1 batch at a time as I had room and just let nature take its course with the eggs layed in between?

I think you should go for it AMY! You've kept them so healthy and lovely its only the next exciting step in keeping them! Goodluck, hope the pair doesn't go crazy on you!

Through researching discus fairly heavily over the last few months I've run across a few people with the same situation as you. From what I can tell no one has had any problems keeping a pair with a community of discus. I hear they get a little stroppy but nothing to worry about.

I have a spare 80cm L x 90cm h x 50cm w tank, but that's not going to be big enough to grow the juvies out, will it?

That tank will be sufficient for breeding and growing the baby . Tanks don't have to be huge to do it. Waterchange is the key. When they're big enough you can always sell some to thin it out.

Have a go at breeding them Amy!

As for pairs in a com tank, as long as your tank is big enough and planted you should be fine. They will find their little corner to do their stuff and the other fish will soon learn to stay away from them :lol:

ron

Its sounds like you have a great pair there.

Let them spawn 3-4 times in the community tank

to form a good bond before you try and move them.

A tank about 120 litres is a good size for a pair

They will be more aggressive as a pair and will defend

an area of the tank even when not spawning

I have got pairs in community tanks and while more aggressive,

the tank still ticks along fine,but you are unlikely to have any success in a community tank

Fry can be grown on in small tanks but size needs to be increased as they grow

The biggest thing is the time and effort it takes to grow out the batch

Cull hard and only grow out the best that you can manage to raise

in your available space.

Love to see some of the fry when you succeed

Good luck!

Fry can be grown on in small tanks but size needs to be increased as they grow

The biggest thing is the time and effort it takes to grow out the batch

Cull hard and only grow out the best that you can manage to raise

in your available space.

Love to see some of the fry when you succeed

Good luck!

By cull hard - how do I select from a young age?

2 years ago I bought 7 babies and kept them in a community tank.Till on sunday 3 of them have been guarding one end of the tank so i watched them for a while and picked out which ones I thought were they real pair.

I moved them to another tank I hastily set up over the last month.They seemed to be doing what I thought was the right stuff.

My wife and I went out to tea tonight and apon returning home I found I missed the event.

Right rom the start this was my objective.The pair was created in the community tank and stayed there till the last moment.So it seems that a community tank is ok to this point as far as I can see.

So I will continue to water change as usual and feed a mixed diet often including live food.

Hope you have the same success.