We have GBA babies and bristlenose eggs!

oneeyedfrog

Much excitement in our house this morning when DD2 noticed a couple of little 1 cm GBA in my 150l tank. :bounce: :bounce: We have only had guppy babies before.

We have counted 5 so far. Being this big does this mean they are quite old already? Dad is still hiding in a little burrow under the driftwood. Is it likely he still has some babies with him?

The tank is pretty heavily planted and there are alot of hidy holes.,I ripped out heaps of plants 2 weeks ago coz I couldn't find the fish!! :D

There are male guppies, corydora and diamond tetra in the tank too. Could they eat the eggs/babies?

I feed courgette/cucumber every 2/3 days and feed nova tabs and spiralina tabs too.

Should I do anything else or just leave them to it.

DD 1 checked her 250l tank and the male bristlenose we put in 2 weeks ago has eggs! Hard to see but looks like something is moving so may have started hatching. This tank has plenty of plants but also has a 6cm fantail and some female guppies in it. Will they eat the babies? should I try moving them? Luckily I recently got two extra tanks If so when/ and I do I move Dad too? He's laid in a crack in a huge bit of wood so may be hard to fit it in another tank. Could be easier to move the fantail and guppies. Easier still to leave it and see what happens I guess.

Thanks for your help

Congrats on the fry :bounce:

The GBAs sound as if they've only recently become free swimming so they're about two weeks old, give or take a day or two.

I'd leave them to it and some will survive. Their tankmates shouldn't be too much of a worry but they might get sucked up the filter intake so you might want to cover it with a bit of foam or something, depends on what kind of filtration you have.

The BNs are in more danger from the fantail, as you say. I'd move it and leave the rest of the tank to its own devices.