Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How fragile are 40-50mm Discus?

Featured Replies

So, what the title says. Do discus at the 40-50mm mark die if you look at them funny or are they pretty "stable" once they reach that size?

Also what sort of a feeding routine would one recommend for discus that size? Both frequency and type of food.

50mm or greater is about the size you want to be buying them at,

anything smaller can be a little more fragile.

If you provide clean water,daily water changes or larger changes every 2nd or 3rd day

you will have no problems,but daily is recommended with smaller discus for optimum growth.

Bare bottom tank.

ox heart mix,tetra bits,quality flake,bloodworms and earthworms are what I feed.

frequency of feeding could be anywhere from 3-6 times a day or even more for younger discus

If you can't change water daily, stick to 3 times

If you plan on doing large daily changes then you can feed alot more and still keep good water conditions.

  • Author
ox heart, garlic, spirulina powder, prawns, spinach and fishfood flake to bind it all - I found easy to make and mine love it

You boil the spinach right? What flake do you use, and how much?

PS. Can't wait to get some discus :D

I have used lots of different ingredients in my mix in the past

but my last one consisted of -

heart meat,liver,prawns,mussels,spinach,calcium carbonate,pro growth,multi vitamins,paprika

'flake food and discus bits.

Slightly cook the liver and boil the spinach,some also cook there heart meat & mussels but I don't.

I just use any flake that I have on hand and just chuck it in the mix no real measurements involved here.

ox heart is the best heart meat to get as there is more meat and less fat which you need to cut out

I have used sheep hearts as well but they are a pain, smaller and more fat and waste to cut out,but ok in a pinch

while they are great for growing discus,heart meat recipes foul the water quick

and you will need to compensate this with regular water changes.

  • Author

Thanks for the info. I've been reading basically everything I can find on Discus for the past two months, I'm starting to feel pretty confident on how to go about it. All I have to do now is wait for Vincent Discus's next batches to be ready for sale! Exciting stuff, feels a little like gambling... spending a fair amount on fish you've never kept...

feels a little like gambling... spending a fair amount on fish you've never kept...

Yeah and they are never really happy unless you get 5 or 6 at that size to grow out in a tank of there own

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.