Small axolotl care

BigBossPants

I just got an itty bitty axie (bout 6cm) and just wanted to know if there's anything special I need to do for it...

He/She is in a 2ft tank with an air-driven sponge filter and a sand substrate. I'm feeding it a mouth full of the frozen hothouse axolotl food or a shrimp pellet daily or every 2nd day, and am doing weekly 1/3 water changes.

Is this suitable for a growing axie? Do they need any special diet or water parameters while they are growing? Will the sponge filter be suitable long term or should I invest in something more substantial?

• 4 months later...

I used to feed my axolotls earthworms as I'm a poor student and couldn't afford to buy proper food for them, but it seemed to be enough.

If anything, when I gave them freshly caught earthworms, they started getting fungal infection (which was lethal to one of my babies!) on their body especially around their gills. Now, when I catch earthworms I put them in boiling water for a few sec to kill off bacteria etc and freeze them in the fridger.

I'm not sure if the nutrients get destroyed if I store them frozen but my axolotls are definitely loving them.

Oh okay. I don't know why mine had fungal infection. I change the water fortnightly (20%) as recommended by most websites. They don't have any problems like that now, but I guess it could also be the water itself was contaminated by free swimming parasites or bacteria.