Incubators

Perpin

I have four. A 1960s bacterial incubator I bought for $30 which has just successfully hatched beardies and turtles, an EPS china made one for reptiles which has hatched beardies, An old EPS one that has hatched turtles and an old fibreglass one with auto turner that has hatched hundreds of birds eggs. The ones on trademe in the reptile section look pretty good. It all comes down realy to how accurate they are at holding the temperature you want. All of mine vary half a degree each side of the setting. With birds eggs it also needs a good turner.

There would be nothing wrong with a home made one for reptiles if it will hold the temperature.

I use hovabators for my quail and they work well

To use any incubator well you really need to get to know it and its individual quirks

I used to have a homemade one made out of a microwave shell, fishtank heater, lightbulbs, cake cooler, tray of water and a water tank thermostat. If you can wire things you can make one cheaply

price wise you can`t go past the still air hovabators.was looking at the rcom reptile ones for $650 on Tm but it was the old story of if it ain`t broken why fix it?Have used everything homemade,tanks within tanks,waterbed drawers,hotwater cuppboard etc.The incubator is only as good as the room where you choose to set it up and for temp determined sexing which I assume you are interested in,this can be critical.Mine are setup in a wardrobe on the coolside of the house but here in hawkesbay they are always sneaking up??