Alage ID needed

phoenix44

So today I went shopping.... :o

(such an expensive habit)

got another 7 emerald cories / brochis splendis - that brings me up to 12 now.

4 of the new german imports of royal whiptails

2 "filamentosa" whiptails, although I suspect these are lancelotas -which I absolutely love.(aka. need more).

How rude of you ... you could of got these new fish before I visited you yesterday :D

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does this have to do with the algae thread? =P

Catfish are cool. too bad most plecos grow huge and eat plants...

MY STAGHORN HAS RETURNED! NOOOOO!!! back to the excel dosing...

maybe you need to use hydrogen peroxide...

not all plecos grow big, and if they all ate plants they would not be in my tanks... :lol:

if you do use hydrogen peroxide, dose the tank as long as you remove all the fish, and then add them back a couple days later.

How rude of you ... you could of got these new fish before I visited you yesterday :D

I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the tail extensions on the royals. on of them has extensions that are as long as him. :o

maybe you need to use hydrogen peroxide...

:o :roll:

Let us all be clear here so there is no confusion to those who may be considering taking this advice. Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is an indiscriminant oxidiser meaning that it will oxidise anything in its path including bacteria, healthy fish cells and plant cells. In addition, it is gone very quickly as it reacts to form oxygen and water so it has limited effectiveness but don't be tempted to use higher concentrations since even at low doses (3%) it is extremely damaging and potentially lethal to the biological filter, fish and plant tissues.

P44, with all that light and all that CO2, you will need to be adding boatloads of NPK and trace to avoid algae coming back.

Something like:

- day 1 NPK (e.g. http://www.seachem.com/Products/product ... brium.html)

- day 2 trace

- day 3 nothing

- day 4 NPK

- day 5 trace

- day 6 50% water change

repeat

That increase in light and CO2 has taken your tank from a Toyota to a Ferrari but that mens that any small steering error will quickly cause a crash.

My ottos wont eat the brown algae on my congo fern... =[

Nor will my whiptail.

The green spots on the glass should go away with reduced photoperiod right?

Same as on my anubias?

Brown algae/diatoms will often be eaten by otos if the otos are not over fed for a few days.

Green spot is normal and a fact of life in a lighted aquarium. You can slightly reduce the photoperiod to reduce it on slow growing leaves.