Stocking tool! check this out

Morcs

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a fantastic resource for new fishkeepers and for more experienced fishkeepers who are looking at keeping different species of fish. Yes, lots of people keep their tanks overstocked and/or keep supposedly incompatible species with no problems, but surely if you are just starting out, you are far better to be slightly conservative, choose fish that are commonly accepted to be compatible, and slightly understock rather than overstock? Once you have successfully kept fish for a while, you will start getting a sense of what will and won't work in your own particular setup, but by then, you don't need a site like this to tell you what will work - as people have said, there are so many variables that it would be impossible to account for all of them.

With regards to fish compatibility,a quick look at several different websites will show that there are no hard-and-fast rules. (We had a killer Harlequin Rasbora, so there are exceptions to every rule anyway!). I prefer sites that take a conservative approach, as forewarned is forearmed, then I can continue my own research on forums like this, to find out what has/hasn't worked for others.

Thanks, yhbae, I think you've done a great job so far. Please don't try to please everybody, as you may end up overcomplicating what is currently a very useful tool!

I think its good for the stocking capacity and filtration capacity.

There are no hard and fast rules with what can be kept with what, apart from the absolutely obvious.

Yeah I think I am pretty comfortable with stocking and filtration for more common species now. Still looking for more feedback on rarer species which understandably does not get as much feedback.

I think I will continue with the current approach of being cautious with warnings and notes. If they don't end up hitting these problems then good for them, but the goal is to let users know there could potentially be problems.

I think this is a fantastic resource for new fishkeepers and for more experienced fishkeepers who are looking at keeping different species of fish. Yes, lots of people keep their tanks overstocked and/or keep supposedly incompatible species with no problems, but surely if you are just starting out, you are far better to be slightly conservative, choose fish that are commonly accepted to be compatible, and slightly understock rather than overstock? Once you have successfully kept fish for a while, you will start getting a sense of what will and won't work in your own particular setup, but by then, you don't need a site like this to tell you what will work - as people have said, there are so many variables that it would be impossible to account for all of them.

With regards to fish compatibility,a quick look at several different websites will show that there are no hard-and-fast rules. (We had a killer Harlequin Rasbora, so there are exceptions to every rule anyway!). I prefer sites that take a conservative approach, as forewarned is forearmed, then I can continue my own research on forums like this, to find out what has/hasn't worked for others.

Thanks, yhbae, I think you've done a great job so far. Please don't try to please everybody, as you may end up overcomplicating what is currently a very useful tool!

I agree with you whole heatedly. Thanks. :D

What's new for 2010 01 07 build:

- Added White Cichlid (Vieja argentea).

- Added Vieja fenestrata.

- Added Tailbar Cichlid (Vieja hartwegi).

- Added Black Belt Cichlid (Vieja maculicauda).

- Added Redhead Cichlid (Vieja synspila).

- Added West African Bichir (Polypterus retropinnis).

- Added Polypterus mokelembembe.

- Added Polypterus teugelsi.

- Added Saddled Bichir (Polypterus endlicheri endlicheri).

- Added Congo Bichir (Polypterus endlicheri congicus).

- Added Guinean Bichir (Polypterus ansorgii).

- Added Ropefish as an alias to Reedfish.

- Added Leopoldi Stingray (Potamotrygon leopoldi).

- Added Flower Stingray (Potamotrygon schroederi).

- Added Motoro Stingray (Potamotrygon motoro).

- Added Common Stringray (Potamotrygon laticeps) - requester please confirm if this is the right species for a "common" ray.

- Added Thinbar Datnoid.

- Added Florida Gar.

- Added Shortnose Gar.

- Added Longnose Gar.

- Added Aligator Gar.

- Added Cuban Gar.

- Added Tropical Gar.

- Added Lima Shovelnose Catfish.

- Added Cherry Red Cichlid as an alias to Maylandia estherae.

- Added Half Banded/Half Barred/Zig Zag Spiny Eel.

- Added Tiger Shovelnose Catfish.

- Added Domino Syno/Synodontis notatus/Synodontis notata.

- Added Redbreast Sunfish (Lepomis auritus).

- Added Green Sunfish (Lepomis cyanellus).

- Added Pumpkinseed (Lepomis gibbosus).

- Added Warmouth (Lepomis gulosus).

- Added Orangespotted Sunfish (Lepomis humilis).

- Added Bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus).

- Added Redear Sunfish (Lepomis microlophus).

- Added Spotfin Goby Cichlid (Tanganicodus irsacae).

- Added Tandanus Catfish.

- Added Polkadotted/Angelicus/Marble Loach (Botia kubotai).

- Added Copper Harlequin as an alias to Swift Rasbora.

- Added Maingano Mbuna (Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos).

- Added Redline Shark/Redline Barb as alias to Denisoni Barb.

- Added Glowlight Danio (Danio choprai).

- Added Blind Cave Tetra (Astyanax jordani).

- Added Peacock Bass Monoculus.

- Added Peacock Bass Orinocensis.

- Added Peacock Bass Temensis.

- Added Peacock Bass Temensis.

- Added Peacock Bass Ocellaris.

- Added Pike Cichlid (Crenicichla sp. Xingu).

- Increased bioload of Hypselecara temporalis.

- Updated Blue Gourami to be more friendly with smaller species. Minimum tank footprint has been adjusted to 30x12.

- Reduced size of Silver Dollar to 6 inches. Also minimum tank size has been reduced to 48x12.

- Renamed scientific name of Silver Dollar to Metynnis argenteus.

- Added a note to female betta - "can still become aggressive even if she doesn't show aggression right away. Not recommended to be mixed with peaceful community species.". Male betta already shows warning if more than 1 are selected.

- Aggression for Severum has been reduced. It should be more peaceful towards less aggressive species.

- Aggression for Blue Acara has been reduced. It should be more peaceful towards less aggressive species.

- Added some notes to Black Knife Ghost Fish.

- Added some notes to Clown Loach.

- Updated scientific name of Cobalt Blue Zebra to Metriaclima callainos.

- Updated bioload for Cobalt Blue Zabra. Also updated water requirements.

- Reduced bioload for Tropheus Duboisi slightly. Minimum number has been raised to 12.

- Reduced size of Tropheus Moorii to 5 inches. Also reduced bioload slightly. Minimum number has been raised to 12.

- Added Lifeguard Aquatics Bed Filter series filters.

- Added 45g tank.

- Fixed a bug: If you select a filter in Gallon mode and flip to Litre mode then do other operations, filtration capacities were incorectly displayed. This has been fixed.

- Fixed a bug: Exception list handling code contained a bug that caused AqAdvisor.com to report potential interbreeding possibilities when drwarf puffer & shrimps are selected. Fixed!

- Total number of filters in DB has been increased to 190.

- Total number of tanks in DB has been increased to 61.

- Total number of species in DB has been increased to 528.

I am still way behind going through the wishlist for the application. Still, please let me know if you have more suggestions - those are always welcome! :)

To access the application, please click on AqAdvisor link.

lol^

Boring as in agreeable or still not agreeable? :D

If not in agreement, please post your stocks and tank dimensions. I'd like to fine tune your species if needed.

they were pretty much all in agreement, apart from a BGK as they do grow slow but get big

the only thing I don't agree with there is the zebra loach, what did you put the minimum size tank for them as? (with this tank being a 2ft tank) as they get to around 8cm and I would think they would be fine in this tank

One thing you could change for the fish after checking it is something for the hillstream loaches, as they live in high flow and high oxygen enviroments. high flow as if in 10feet/3m a second

so you could stick something like: "hillstream loaches apreciate higher flow enviroments" and "hillstream loaches need higher amounts of oxygen in their water to live happily"...

Warning: Red Rainbowfish is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 4 inches.

Warning: Red Rainbowfish requires a tank with more height.

Warning: At least 5 x Red Rainbowfish are recommended in a group.

Warning: Flying Fox is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 5 inches.

Warning: Flying Fox requires a tank with more height.

Note: Bristlenose Pleco needs driftwood.

Warning: Bristlenose Pleco is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 4 inches.

Suggestion: Minimum recommend male to female ratio for Platy is 1:2 (M:F). You will less likely to experience problem if you get even more females.

Recommended temperature range: 24 - 24 C. [Display in Farenheit]

Recommended pH range: 7 - 7.8.

Recommended hardness range: 9 - 15 dH.

Warning: You NEED to add more aquarium filtration capacity!!!

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 53%. [What's this?]

Recommended water change schedule: 79% per week. (You might want to split this water change schedule to two separate 54% per week)

Your aquarium stocking level is 163%. [Generate Image] [What's this?]

You should consider a larger tank for this combination.

Red Rainbowfish = Threadfin Rainbowfish?? Glossolepis incisus... I thought these only grew to under 2 inches?

I thought my tank was way understocked... Might need a rethink lol

lol^

they were pretty much all in agreement, apart from a BGK as they do grow slow but get big

In what aspect didn't you agree on?

the only thing I don't agree with there is the zebra loach, what did you put the minimum size tank for them as? (with this tank being a 2ft tank) as they get to around 8cm and I would think they would be fine in this tank

Zebra loach is currently marked as 3 inches so it is close to your figure. I did mark the minimum tank size as 30x12 inches which might be a bit generous. I guess your tank's footprint is a bit smaller than this?

One thing you could change for the fish after checking it is something for the hillstream loaches, as they live in high flow and high oxygen enviroments. high flow as if in 10feet/3m a second

so you could stick something like: "hillstream loaches apreciate higher flow enviroments" and "hillstream loaches need higher amounts of oxygen in their water to live happily"...

Those make sense. I'll add them to the wishlist.

Thanks!

nothing was wrong with mine apart from the points I made before either

and yes my tank is smaller, 24"x12" but 30"x12" isn't much bigger :D

I just checked 4 sites and they say minimum required was:

36x12

36x12

24x12

30x12

!!!

That just goes to show how inconsistent profile sites are.... :wink:

Warning: Discus is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 6 inches.

Warning: Discus requires a tank with more height.

Warning: At least 5 x Discus are recommended in a group.

Warning: Skunk Loach is too aggressive to co-exist with Discus.

Warning: When Kissing Gourami starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Discus.

Warning: When Kribensis starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Discus.

Warning: When Sajica Cichlid starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Discus.

Note: Clown Loach may pretend to be dead at times.

Warning: Clown Loach is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 12 inches.

Warning: At least 3 x Clown Loach are recommended in a group.

Note: Common Pleco needs driftwood.

Warning: Common Pleco is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 18 inches.

Warning: Skunk Loach is too aggressive to co-exist with Zebra Loach.

Warning: When Kissing Gourami starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Zebra Loach.

Warning: When Kribensis starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Zebra Loach.

Warning: When Sajica Cichlid starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Zebra Loach.

Warning: At least 5 x Skunk Loach are recommended in a group.

Note: Kissing Gourami needs driftwood.

Warning: Kissing Gourami is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 11 inches.

Warning: Kissing Gourami requires a tank with more height.

Warning: Kissing Gourami is too big to co-exist with Zebra Loach.

Warning: Kissing Gourami is too big to co-exist with Neon Tetra.

Warning: Kissing Gourami is too big to co-exist with Harlequin Rasbora.

Warning: Kissing Gourami is too big to co-exist with Kribensis.

Warning: At least 5 x Neon Tetra are recommended in a group.

Warning: Common Pleco is too aggressive to co-exist with Neon Tetra.

Warning: Skunk Loach is too aggressive to co-exist with Neon Tetra.

Warning: Kissing Gourami is too aggressive to co-exist with Neon Tetra.

Warning: When Kribensis starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Neon Tetra.

Warning: Sajica Cichlid is too aggressive to co-exist with Neon Tetra.

Warning: At least 5 x Harlequin Rasbora are recommended in a group.

Warning: Skunk Loach is too aggressive to co-exist with Harlequin Rasbora.

Warning: When Kissing Gourami starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Harlequin Rasbora.

Warning: When Kribensis starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Harlequin Rasbora.

Warning: When Sajica Cichlid starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Harlequin Rasbora.

Warning: At least 5 x Kuhli Loach are recommended in a group.

Warning: Skunk Loach is too aggressive to co-exist with Kuhli Loach.

Warning: When Kissing Gourami starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Kuhli Loach.

Warning: When Kribensis starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Kuhli Loach.

Warning: When Sajica Cichlid starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Kuhli Loach.

Warning: Sajica Cichlid is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 4 inches.

Warning: Sajica Cichlid requires a tank with more height.

Warning: Your selected species will eventually require 168% of your aquarium space. You may need to deal with territorial aggressions later on. Try removing some of (Chromobotia macracanthus, Pterygoplichthys pardalis, Botia striata, Yasuhikotakia morleti, Pangio kuhlii, Pelvicachromis pulcher, Archocentrus sajica) or get a larger aquarium tank.

Warning: Water temperature requirements are not fully compatible between all selected species.

=> 28 - 31C: Discus

=> 24 - 30C: Clown Loach

=> 22 - 28C: Common Pleco

=> 23 - 26C: Zebra Loach

=> 24 - 29C: Skunk Loach

=> 22 - 28C: Kissing Gourami

=> 20 - 28C: Neon Tetra

=> 22 - 25C: Harlequin Rasbora

=> 24 - 30C: Kuhli Loach

=> 24 - 27C: Kribensis

=> 20 - 26C: Sajica Cichlid

[Display in Farenheit]

Recommended pH range: 6 - 7.6.

Recommended hardness range: 5 - 15 dH.

Your tank is too small - it will require massive amount of frequent water changes!

Your aquarium stocking level is 373%. [Generate Image] [What's this?]

You should consider a larger tank for this combination OOOOOOOOpppppPPPPPPPPPssssSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warning: Discus is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 6 inches.

Warning: Discus requires a tank with more height.

Warning: At least 5 x Discus are recommended in a group.

Warning: Skunk Loach is too aggressive to co-exist with Discus.

Warning: When Kissing Gourami starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Discus.

Warning: When Kribensis starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Discus.

Warning: When Sajica Cichlid starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Discus.

Note: Clown Loach may pretend to be dead at times.

Warning: Clown Loach is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 12 inches.

Warning: At least 3 x Clown Loach are recommended in a group.

Note: Common Pleco needs driftwood.

Warning: Common Pleco is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 18 inches.

Warning: Skunk Loach is too aggressive to co-exist with Zebra Loach.

Warning: When Kissing Gourami starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Zebra Loach.

Warning: When Kribensis starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Zebra Loach.

Warning: When Sajica Cichlid starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Zebra Loach.

Warning: At least 5 x Skunk Loach are recommended in a group.

Note: Kissing Gourami needs driftwood.

Warning: Kissing Gourami is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 11 inches.

Warning: Kissing Gourami requires a tank with more height.

Warning: Kissing Gourami is too big to co-exist with Zebra Loach.

Warning: Kissing Gourami is too big to co-exist with Neon Tetra.

Warning: Kissing Gourami is too big to co-exist with Harlequin Rasbora.

Warning: Kissing Gourami is too big to co-exist with Kribensis.

Warning: At least 5 x Neon Tetra are recommended in a group.

Warning: Common Pleco is too aggressive to co-exist with Neon Tetra.

Warning: Skunk Loach is too aggressive to co-exist with Neon Tetra.

Warning: Kissing Gourami is too aggressive to co-exist with Neon Tetra.

Warning: When Kribensis starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Neon Tetra.

Warning: Sajica Cichlid is too aggressive to co-exist with Neon Tetra.

Warning: At least 5 x Harlequin Rasbora are recommended in a group.

Warning: Skunk Loach is too aggressive to co-exist with Harlequin Rasbora.

Warning: When Kissing Gourami starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Harlequin Rasbora.

Warning: When Kribensis starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Harlequin Rasbora.

Warning: When Sajica Cichlid starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Harlequin Rasbora.

Warning: At least 5 x Kuhli Loach are recommended in a group.

Warning: Skunk Loach is too aggressive to co-exist with Kuhli Loach.

Warning: When Kissing Gourami starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Kuhli Loach.

Warning: When Kribensis starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Kuhli Loach.

Warning: When Sajica Cichlid starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Kuhli Loach.

Warning: Sajica Cichlid is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 4 inches.

Warning: Sajica Cichlid requires a tank with more height.

Warning: Your selected species will eventually require 168% of your aquarium space. You may need to deal with territorial aggressions later on. Try removing some of (Chromobotia macracanthus, Pterygoplichthys pardalis, Botia striata, Yasuhikotakia morleti, Pangio kuhlii, Pelvicachromis pulcher, Archocentrus sajica) or get a larger aquarium tank.

Warning: Water temperature requirements are not fully compatible between all selected species.

=> 28 - 31C: Discus

=> 24 - 30C: Clown Loach

=> 22 - 28C: Common Pleco

=> 23 - 26C: Zebra Loach

=> 24 - 29C: Skunk Loach

=> 22 - 28C: Kissing Gourami

=> 20 - 28C: Neon Tetra

=> 22 - 25C: Harlequin Rasbora

=> 24 - 30C: Kuhli Loach

=> 24 - 27C: Kribensis

=> 20 - 26C: Sajica Cichlid

[Display in Farenheit]

Recommended pH range: 6 - 7.6.

Recommended hardness range: 5 - 15 dH.

Your tank is too small - it will require massive amount of frequent water changes!

Your aquarium stocking level is 373%. [Generate Image] [What's this?]

You should consider a larger tank for this combination OOOOOOOOpppppPPPPPPPPPssssSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL. How big is your tank?