Is my BN being territorial or falling for another speices?

BikBok

I have had my 3 kuhli and BN together in the same tank since April. (along with a few guppies)

Over the last couple of months the BNs bristles have become more prominent and he sometimes has his ododontals out.

But now, every evening when one particular Kuhli comes out lookign for food, he immediately goes over to it and tries to swim with it, quite funny when the kuhli is doing his/her figure 8's and the darn BN is trying to go with it. The Kuhli gets a bit fed up and goes back into hiding.

I wondered if the BN was just being friendly but now he tries to hog the food as well.. is he being territorial , should I shift him to another tank or look at rehoming him ? The Kuhlis are becoming more shy.

I don't have room or the inclination to try and put a female with the BN. is he lonely?

We are shifitng next month so don't really want to add any more fish and I won't have the room for another BN anyway.

But if the consensus is that he needs a female we would look at doing something at the next house and get my bigger tank sooner rather than later. Have had to use the tank budget to fix the sons Les Paul guitar so having to save up again!

It's very odd and comical and I haven't heard of this before, it's almost as if he thinks he is a kuhli and he will sit on them sometimes. I just don't think the kuhli appreciate it!

Sam, is that your betta in the pic? he's very nice!

Thanks, yes he is mine. He's more beautiful in real life.

If the BN isn't doing any harm then let him be. Perhaps he does want to breed but it's not going to hurt him if he doesn't.

that's what I was wondering. My daughter is worried he will hurt the Kuhli and is wanting to rehome him.. which is why i came on to ask opinions.

Could he kill them?

If anyone would like to take him let me know. I'm not in a position to start a bigger tank just yet.

We're in Wattle Downs, Manurewa but could possibly drop off if local -ish.

We thought he would help algae control but it's still all over the glass anyway.

The idea was we would have him in there until he gets too big and then put him into our planned bigger tank (which hasn't happned yet) or swap for a smaller BN. ... he's grown quite fast though!

Our tank is just an AR380 .. so maybe it's already too small for him?

Small bristlenoses will eat algae but the bigger ones don't seem interested. :roll:

Yes he could kill the kuhli.

Tank size won't be helping as it is a wee bit small but I have not found BNs to be too territorial, except when chasing others away from the food.

Hi Sam, that would be great.

Where abouts are you? we might be able to bring him around tomorrow if you were available.

My daughter just wants to find him a new home but doesn't want any more BNs because we might end up with the same problem in another few months!

IMG_5297.jpg

IMG_5299.jpg

Once I put him in he hung around for a while, backed into the thick stems a bit now. Dropped in a slice of cucumber for him and the ottos. If they don't get along I have another tank he can go into, hopefully the other BN I have of similar age is a female.

Thanks heaps!