Tank lighting really blah

tinytawnykitten

Lamps, or tubes, Sam - bulbs grow in the garden... as I used to get told all the time :roll:

How deep is your tank TTK?

And what are you trying to grow?

Bulb is acceptiable in some cases but in theis case you will find that "tube" is the only option as thay are t8 and I have never seen "T8 lamps" in NZ

Just replacing the tubes might make a huge difference, they should be replaced every year or so. If you go to an electrical wholesaler you shouldn't pay more than about $10 a tube. For a clean white light ask for a 865 if you want warmer more yellow go for a lower number 845 or similar (it only the last two numbers your interested in)

• 5 weeks later...

Oh really? i suppose the only other thing u need is reflectors, but what do u case the lights in? From what the pic looks like there are sockets for the lights to plug into, and then the actual light, but no casing?

Thats cool to here ur tank is doing well, im envious! :P I might be moving soon, so im wanting to get a new set up once i had moved, thinking planted tank - powerful lights and Co2 :D

I wouldn't buy that unit if I was you - I think that unit is for people who have space constraints or want high customizability - it's basically just the ballast and the end connectors and a mains cable, and all the remaining mounting is up to you.

I'd buy something like this http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 264585.htm They come in 2 ft, 3ft and 4ft I think. I picked up my 3ft 2nd hand Glo T5 for $50 (Without bulbs and mounting gear) which I thought was a ridiculously awesome price. It has a built in reflector. Only qualm is that it doesn't have a power switch, but I run the whole thing off an automatic timer anyway so that's a nonissue. Otherwise you'd be unplugging and plugging it in to turn it off / on.

Also don't bother dropping upwards of $50 on Glo branded T5 bulbs. Get 865 daylight bulbs to suit your ballast from a bulb wholesaler. I got mine for $12 per bulb. The LFS charges over $50 for similar T5HO bulbs IIRC.

that is a tad on the dangerous side. those are HO bulbs - and well worth the extra money. if you do want to save money do not buy powerglos, but buy the aquaglos instead, or the life glos.

if a normal bulb causes the main unit to malfunction, kiss your warranty good bye.

The bulbs I buy from the wholesaler are the same size / wattage as the ones in the LFS that are 'recommended' for the unit. Only the LFS ones are Gimmicky 'plant growth' tubes. Consdering I'm getting great results with my 865 bulbs, I was simply saying that I don't believe there's any point in paying ~$50 for those gimmicky plant growth tubes.

I understand where you're coming from but I believe P44 means be careful with NO tubes, they can blow the system. If the tubes you're getting are the right wattage and type, then by all means go for it, it "should" work. Correct me if I'm wrong Phoenix. :)

EDIT: NO meaning Normal Output

• 1 year later...

Hi again,

I have finally sorted out (thanks entirely to @Suphew) my 4ft light but the lighting is still really bland. I have a couple of new tubes. As I said earlier, I have two double lights like these: http://www.aquaone.co.uk/lighting_al_t8.php on my 4ft tank. One is 3ft, one is 4ft. The 3ft one has two tubes which say power-glo 30W and the 4 ft has one which says Aqua-glo 40W and one which says Sun-Glo 40W. Does that make any sense?

My tank is 65cm deep though so I am guessing I need some strong lighting to get good light. It is an african tank (mainly) with no plants, and mainly shell rock (is that what it is called?) like these ones - but a different tank.

376178675.jpg

(this is a photo of my old tank though, I have a background, etc etc now, and more rock, but it gives you the picture).

I am in the process of changing to black substrate (I was planning to buy some of that lovely jet-black silica from the LFS but if anyone can tell me a better place to buy it please do!). I have hauled all my substrate out today.

Anyway, so I would be really keen for any further opinions about lighting for a deepish tank, and also about substrate in an african tank.