L Shaped tank

jude

Yayyyyyyyyyyy again. I'm really excited. I went to see Peter at Port Nicholson glass and he said he could build me the tank I really wanted - an L shaped one.

The tank will be 1500mm along one back wall and 1440 along the other.

The longer end (1500) will be 460mm from front to back and the other will be 370mm. It will be 500mm high and the glass is 10mm

So now my brain is teeming with technical questions.

How much water will it hold, assuming 50mm of airspace at the top?

How big should the filter be?

Should I have one or two?

Should I have more than one outlet and inlet hoses so the water gets taken from both ends of the L?

I'm planning on using a cannister filter, what's the best brand?

How many heaters? One in each L, or maybe 3 so one could be in the centre too. I think I read that its better to have 2 small ones than one large one in case a large one sticks on and cooks the fish so I was thinking 3 smaller ones might be better.

Now all I have to do is decide about the hood. I don't want something heavy looking and I would prefer black. I plan to take my time and do the hood later when I've checked out various options.

Oh, and I have to get someone to check my measurements because I am never confident I've got it right.

It feels like an early Christmas

:):):)

Hmmm, Looks like, let's see...The long end will be about 345L and the short end will be about 266L. Oh, wait, those are along the BACK ends, so part of it will be overlapped. Ummm... The overlap would be 370mmX 460mmX500mm, so we'll delete that... That's 81L. So the tank's max volume is 530L, if you want to assume 50mm of airspace that'll just be taking 10% off so it will be 477L of water.

You know what I'd suggest? Intake at one end, outlet at the other, get some nice current flow like a river tank.:)

Thanks Ira

Is it possible to get a cannister filter thats big enough for 500L? I think you said a filter should turn over the tanks volume 3-5 times per hour. So that's 1500L-2500L per hour.

I have no idea what filters are available or what their capacity is as yet. Plan to visit some pet shops and ask but would be greatful for any input/ideas etc.

We have been using an Eheim 2217 on a 500 litre tank for the last 2 years and it is coping well with a large number of fish in tank. I would suggest buying a large cannister filter and you can always add an internal later if required. PM me if you would like a quote on Eheim Flucal or Aqua One filters. If you want nice plants in your tank I would avoid under gravels. Peter is also able to drill holes in the tank if you wanted to internally plumb it so you don't have hoses draping over the top of the tank.

I Agree with LB and Ira. Use a Fluval 404. with input at one end and output at the other end . to help with flow you can always add a powerhead in the corner.

Internal plumbing would make things much nicer and easier to change water.

I would say 2 404 Fluvals will do the trick quite nicely as I am using a 303 on my 300L Tank.

With regards to Heaters you will need 100w per 100L. So if Iras calculations are correct you will need a 200w and a 300w to maintain the temperature of your tank.

suggested placements would be 300 by the input and 200w in the other section.

Happy setting up.

I have an older model jebo (the green ones) and i don't find it all that great, as i said in an earlier post i found my atman 103 internal filter better, my sister has a small model jebo for her tank and she has trouble keeping the tank clean also, maybe i am doing somthing wrong (as i set hers up also)

I use 4 canister filters ib my 4ft bow front. The water is cristal clear and alage is minimal to none. Lots of filteration is benificial. I have LOTS of fish, way over stocked.

The 2217? big boy from Ehiem is a great piece of kit, why not use 2-3 of these, or 4x 404s or similar.

When we setup our new freshwater (custom 4 foot) we will use 4 canisters. Less maintenace, better water quality.

L shape tanks can look awesome, can't wait to see it. Peter from Port Nicholson does an awesome job, anyone who has seen my new tank and cabinet from him will know what I mean.

You can also try a sump or DIY filter. 60L barrel, couple of tank inlets and a big eniem pump. I am VERY tempted to try this for the freshwater too. Load it with filter wool and bioballs/siporex/ceramic noodles. Infact I think I am talking myself into it :)

Pie