DI unit problems

ryanjury

Ok I have this DI unit http://www.filters.co.nz/pdfs/DI%202%20 ... 0APP68.pdf

The problem I am having is that the DI resin is getting used up exceptionally fast, initially I only got the resin and didn't replace the prefilter and it only did 50-100L before the resin all went gold and the water coming out was higher than 200uS (initially it was 5uS which I was happy with).

Last night myself and a friend packed the entire prefilter stage with activated carbon and now after less than 100L again the resin is all used up and output gone high again.

At this stage I think I am only left with a few options why it is using it so fast.

1. The input water is so fill of crud that the resin is having to work overtime.

2. I need to buy the proper pre filter (but I don't know how much good the 10micron will actually do? I thought the carbon would have done the same job?)

Can I easily plumb an RO stage into the existing 2 stage that I have? I am assuming it would go between the prefilter and the DI stage and would also have to put something in for back flushing? Roughly how much would a membrane and holder cost?

Hmmm...Don't think you need to backflush RO membranes or that you can even do it without damaging them. The 80% waste water is constantly cleaning the membrane. Yes, you should be able to easily plumb it in your current setup.

They usually do have back flush, but I think it just washes water over the dirty side of the membrane rather than thought it. It's just a tap, not sure exactly how it is plumbed in to work, I assume it bypasses a pressure valve to let the flow run over the membrane