Rescued Turtle

JarrenB

THE STORY: A few days ago I was in a local pet store (for one of my weekly visits) and a couple walked in with a long cardboard box, In it was a Red Eared Turtle that they had found in their driveway. They brought it to the pet shop after asking all their neighbours all of which knew nothing about the turtle.

They were planning on keeping it but after being shown the gear they would need and the huge price tag they decided they would release it somewhere, the shop keeper supported this idea! So I jumped in and gave the couple $10 for it the turtle (Lucky) has become my existing turtles best mate.

THE PROBLEM: His shell, skin and eyes were in a horrible state and he was very skinny (the reason I’m hot trying to find the owner). Since then (clean water & a good diet) he has got fatter, his eyes are a bright blue colour and the green lines on his skin have got brighter. The shell has improved a little bit but it is still covered in white specs which will not come off.

There is some nice knew shell coming through in places. Should I just wait?

PLEASE HELP

Any chance of posting a pic? My thinking is yes, just wait, but would be good to see a pic if possible. If you have your lighting right (see care sheet for turtles thread for ideas) and no lid/ humidity etc, I expect it will just take time. :) Good on you for stopping it possibly having to die a slow miserable death somewhere :bow:

Can you pop the turt in a small cardboard box or something with a towel underneath and get some close up shots of the spots, or get your brother to hang on to him when you take the photos, use the macro setting on your camera if you have one.

Yes I've had many arrive with shells like that and variations of it. Keep all the right things happening with the lights and ensure hes basking and drying properly and it will rectify itself. :) Tho it will just take a bit of time. Also dont try and 'force' the shedding in any way. Its easy to cause a wee nic in those skin layers that you hardly even see and have it set up a nasty ucer under the shell. Good luck !

• 2 weeks later...